• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Ameritron 811

KB2DU

Feb 6, 2011
Just getting back into the Hobby after a long absence....I purchased an Ameritron 811 on e-bay, and I am looking for the TS520S Remote Plug wiring for the relay plug on the 811.

I read the manula on both Amp & TS520S....Normally Open....and have the relay connected to Pin #5 and Pin #1 on the Remote Plug, and the ALC to Pin #6 and Pin #1...

When I key the Tranceiver the AMP keys & the Plate Meter goes backwards,
double checked all my connections,and looked all over the internet for the correct wiring..to no avail.

I am wondering if the AMP has a problem, or I have something not connected.

In frustration after trying to get Ameritron on the phone all day I just ordered a new 811H from HRO.....

Any suggestion or help.......

Thanks

Same results Pin #5 & Pin #1Gnd -

I am thinking I got a bad deal on e-bay....for the Plate Meter to go backwards. The 811 does go into Transmit, but no power out...

Thanks for the help....

Does any one know what one has to do to get Ameritron to answer the PHONE....or get something repaired..The number was busy all day.....

Does any one know what one has to do to get Ameritron to answer the PHONE....or get something repaired..The number was busy all day.....

I've got some experience with that ;) The best thing to do seems to use their support email - they usually answer it within a day or two. You can also just send it in with a letter explaining what is wrong. The last time I needed to use their repair service, the turn-around was about 30 days or so. You can get through over the phone, but it takes persistence. As you found out, it's busy a lot!

You can also post the issue on eHam.net. The gentleman who designed the 811 for Ameritron is a member there and will usually answer questions about the amp.

I also owned both the 811 and 811H models. You absolutly need to follow the tunig instructions in the manual to the letter!! If you don't have a manual, get one.

Last edited:
...the 811 does go into Transmit, but no power out...

i assume you are NOT in SSB mode on the exciter,.....

it's possible the ALC is adjusted too low.
try this,.....with amp in STBY, adjust exciter to about 20 - 30 watts.
DISCONNECT the ALC from amp , take amp out of STBY and test it.

is the ALC connected to pin 1 or pin 4? are they BOTH ground? (i don't have the schemantic)

Last edited:
on second thought,.... are you sure that it is PLATE current swinging backwards and not grid current?

if the GRID meter swings backwards, the most common cause is a shorted tube from filament to grid.

remove one tube at a time and test operate

The exciter is tuned properly, and apply between 20 and 40 watts to the amp, and the first meter ( left to right ) is the Plate Voltage & Plate Current. The relay is working because the amp goes into the transmit mode....but the Plate Meter goes backwards....also when you switch to the ip meter reading
the meter does a slow decline....

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.