• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Amplifier Info

Nick23

Desperado, 785
Aug 16, 2013
Bangor, ME
I have a few questions about my new amp I am going to order soon. First, how many watts can you run before having to bond the entire vehicle? Also, is biasing the amp necessary when running AM exclusively? When running a 1x4 what is the minimum number of batteries you should have hooked up and alternator minimum requirements?

Thanks
Nick

I guess the answer is "that depends". What amp are you going to buy? What radio do you have? What modes of talking do you do, as in AM,FM,SSb? How big is your alternator and what battery do you have?

There is a big difference between running a nice class AB Texas Star 667 compared to a class C comp style Fatboy or X-Force amplifier.

I mentioned AM as what I only run in my first post. Sorry if you didn't see that.I will be running a Cobra 29LX Camo variable power mod and a MOSFET final for 40 watts pep. I plan on getting a Dave Made 1x4 mobile amp, adjustable output. He said 400 watts swinging to 1600. I have just a run of the mill battery in my 1999 Toyota 4Runner. The alternator is around 90, but I will double check and get back to you for sure on that.

I mentioned AM as what I only run in my first post. Sorry if you didn't see that.I will be running a Cobra 29LX Camo variable power mod and a MOSFET final for 40 watts pep. I plan on getting a Dave Made 1x4 mobile amp, adjustable output. He said 400 watts swinging to 1600. I have just a run of the mill battery in my 1999 Toyota 4Runner. The alternator is around 90, but I will double check and get back to you for sure on that.

40 watts driving into a 2sc2879 that only takes 4 watts to get maximum output???? Going to be a lot of resistor padding in that amplifier.

FOUR 2sc2879's that will put out 1600 watts??????

Manufacture specs for the transistor is 100 watts. Where is the other 1200 watts coming from?

2SC2879 datasheet(1/2 Pages) TOSHIBA | TRANSISTOR (2~30MHz SSB LINEAR POWER AMPLIFIER APPLICATIONS)(LOW SUPPLY VOLTAGE USE)

Reactions: 2 people
You should be able to run that 1x4 as-is as long as you're not really long winded...you're right at the edge of go/no go with your ride...that 1x4 will pull almost 100 amps.

Personally, IF that 29 is actually putting out that kind of power (I find that questionable), I'd be looking at a straight four pill...forget the driver.

And as was mentioned, you will realistically see about 600 to 800 watts out of a 1x4 in a typical car installation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. I will look into the straight 4 pill. What about bonding the entire vehicle? Biasing the amp necessary for AM?

You don't want or need a variable in the amp...you control the amp's output with the radio's variable power.

I've owned both a comp 4 pill and a Fatboy 1x4...while the 1x4 had bigger numbers (600ish versus about 400 from the 4 pill) it was also a pain to constantly adjust...air temperature determines the drive voltage of the alternator. The 4 pill will take everything a single final radio can throw at it...no need to constantly adjust it to keep it in the sweet spot.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Just some observations.

1) I doubt your cobra is doing 40 watts.

2) 1600 watts from a 1x4.......LOLOLOLOL. 600-800 is more realistic.

3) Your alternator is pretty small for a comp style 1x4 amp.

You might consider a TnT 350 from X-Force, a Texas Star 400 or 500, or an X-Force 200HD. You could also consider a mosfet amplifier.

TNT 350hd

MF450

Xforce

Just some observations.

1) I doubt your cobra is doing 40 watts.

2) 1600 watts from a 1x4.......LOLOLOLOL. 600-800 is more realistic.

3) Your alternator is pretty small for a comp style 1x4 amp.

You might consider a TnT 350 from X-Force, a Texas Star 400 or 500, or an X-Force 200HD. You could also consider a mosfet amplifier.

TNT 350hd

MF450

Xforce

Hey on Dave Made's website he said 400RMS 1600. I don't have it yet so I wouldn't know. The Cobra is from Bells and I think its very close to 40, he says on his website 38-45.?? Would any of those amps be better than a Dave Made 4 pill?

Hey on Dave Made's website he said 400RMS 1600.

Go back and take a min and look at the header over the output numbers.

That claim of 1.6K is while operating at 20 volts, on a peak reading wattmeter, not the 13.8 or so that you have available.
You got to take these numbers with a grain of salt.
2879`s will make a lot of power at high voltage but you will work hard to keep them alive and happy.
And for a 4 transistor amp.....that is too much work.

Jeff

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.