• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ANTENNA THOUGHT

CB RADIO FREQ

Apr 1, 2013
Hello everyone i was just thinking about something and wanted to know what you guys thought. I am going camping in a few days and want to bring my handheld radioshack cb radio but i needed a bigger antenna. So i thought of this: I could make a "bazooka" antenna but didnt want to have to have a ground plane so i thought a minute and realized that i didnt need a ground plane because the handheld already has a built in matching device to compensate for the ground plane when the rubber duck antenna is used. Thus i made a "bazooka" antenna with no ground plane that i can just hang in a tree and roll up and store in my pocket.

Just wanted to see what you guys thought. THANKS!

well i thought about a dipole, but that requires a center feed and it also requires i ground plane making it twice as long as the no-ground bazooka antenna that i previously made

Les Moxon, developed an antenna beam type google MOXON.

Simple half wave dipole would work good for your camping trip no ground plane required Google DIPOLE.

The way it sounds you only made 1/2 an antenna?? you can make one of these, very simple and easy to hang vertical from a tree:

also you tube "antenna launcher" I made one from a walmart slingshot and a open face fishing reel for a total of $15,, I tried it in the back yard and shot a line over a 50' tree branch with no problem. makes it real easy to pull up a smaller rope and your antenna

Attachments

• coax%20antenna.jpg
    coax%20antenna.jpg
    764.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
well thankyou everyone for your input but the only reason that i didnt want to make a dipole was because of its length. all i really wanted was an antenna about half that size, thus i made one with no "ground" wire because the walkie talkie does not require one because it already has a built in matching device to compensate for the lack of a ground. Thanks

what does your walky have for an antenna connector,, im still thinking you made only 1/2 an antenna. you need both 1/2's to make an antenna work. how are you tuning or checking swr on your antenna with no ground/counterpoise side

my walkie talkie has a BNC connector for the rubber duck antenna to connect. my thought was that the rubber duck does not have a ground plane so inside the walky it must have a built in tuner to compensate for the ground while the rubber duck is used.
so after i thought about it i realized that the rubber duck is nothing more than a 1/4 wave piece of wire coiled up to make it smaller. so in sense i built a 1/4 wave dipole with no ground wire, So when you say that it is half an antenna you are technically correct.

... i realized that the rubber duck is nothing more than a 1/4 wave piece of wire coiled up to make it smaller. so in sense i built a 1/4 wave dipole with no ground wire, So when you say that it is half an antenna you are technically correct.

actually, you made a random length, end fed wire antenna.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.