• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Antenna Wiring, Help!

Nibbs

Jul 12, 2005
Upstate New York
Newbie question -
Ok, so I mounted the radio shack ball mount on a custome stainless steel mount that I made to attach it to the back of my bed. I ran the rg cable back to the mount. Now there are two wires comming out, one in a plastic cheild type thing, the other, exposed copper braided wire. Both have spade ends on them. I hooke them up in several differant mannors, and I still get a high swr. I ran a grounding wire from the battery back to the mount, and before I proceed. How should I wire this up so that it is correct. The only place there seems to be to make an electrical connection is on the bottom of this threaded rod like thing, where there is a threaded hole for a screw, and thats where I connected the plastic shielded wire, but where do I connect the braided and ground wire? Im, having swr up in the red, please help!

Center wire to the threaded rod at the bottom of the mount and the shield of the coax to the closest ground point to the antenna.If the mount is grounded then connect the shield to the mount close to the antenna base.

ok

ok 1st did you get a lug type ball mount or a pl259 mount
2nd look at were that long thered thingy lol or the center condutor mount goes thought the ss plate you made make sure it is not touching it if it is make hole bigger move it some way .
3rd you should not have to run a wire from batt ground just put the braied part of wire with conntector on one of the three screws holinding ball mount to ssplate it is no grounded do not panit ssplate if you did scrap the paint away from were it mounts to any other metal you can run a ground wire from the bed to the frame the cab to the frame doors to cab the the frame to batt but i am perrtey sure it is a fairly new truck and is all ready grounded in such away ceck you coax wire make sure netier the braied outer part is not toching the cenet solid cooper wire and check that the part were you hook center cooper wire to is not toching your ss plate if that fixixs it let me know and wehen you find your short in the mount or wire take some shirk coviring and cover the conntions on the ball mount so to help with corriosion sorry about the grammer and hope this helps swr should be about 1:1 if you got a 102'' steel whip and a spring wich makes it a 1/4 antana

I figured it out, it works very well now. the swr is about 1.1, or 1.2, the needle does not move very much at all! Still havn't really gotten a chance to try it out, I will when im on the road next, perhaps tomorrow, after installeing the scanner.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.