• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Any one play around with HV/HC 5D21,715 pulse radar tubes ?

ElectronTubesRule

Sep 6, 2011
What happens if you have a tube that is designed to switch on and off very fast as 15,000 volts to 15,000 is pulsed if you grossly under power it??? Would you still get plenty of amplification factor just not what the tube is rated for or would such a tube not even function at say 2500-3000 volt's? I am wondering if anyone has played around with 715, 5D21 and the like? It is such a robust tube it seems like it would fun to play around with. They where used in Army, Navy and latter prob. Airforce pulsed radar arays.

According to Google I am the only one that is asking this question....LOL

Their design characteristics, that very high voltage pulsing, tends to make them almost useless for a steady output type mode. I don't know anything about them specifically, so there may be some usable amplification if they are operated in a 'steady state. But, I tend to doubt they would be very useful for anything else but for a pulsed mode like radar.
If you wanna play with one, have at it. It would be an understatement to say to be careful of the voltages, right??
- 'Doc

As long as dissipations are not exceeded pulse rated tubes work just fine for hobby radio.

Usually pulse rated tubes have very robust filaments for extra peak emission. In some cases the filament burn can be safely reduced for longer life.

I have a typo in my post it should have been 15,000V to 25,000V!

I was wondering as much. The amperage the filliments can take is insane as well.

I have no intention of building a power ever that is more then 5000V's so that is why I was asking. 5000V's is about as much as I want to have buzzing around in my home! I have worked with a lot more working on Transmission Lines for the power company a long long time ago but still have no desire to have 15,000V-25,000V in my shack! LOL That is a entirely different level of safety precautions!

The only thing you're talking about that I have any experience at all with is some testing or study material for old Navy radars. Just from what little I remember about that, I'm not so sure anyone could afford, much less want to run something like that. That 'pulse' power level does not translate to anything usable for HF radio (that I'm aware of) with out down grading the the device to a ridiculous level. To say that removing the case while the thing was in operation is DUMB, is soooo understated. Although, it'd be one way of cleaning up the gene pool, right??
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.