• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Anytone 6666 Display Brightness

BC Coyote

Oct 17, 2023
I installed a new Anytone 6666 in our vehicle and it works great, but I have it mounted on the dash and the display is WAY too bright at night. In fact it's so bright I have to shut off the radio so I can see the road.
What's weird is there doesn't seem to be any way to dim the display despite there being all kinds of color options and three different menus of settings ! Am I missing something really obvious ? Does anyone know if it can it be changed in the service menu ? I loathe working on SMD boards with my old hands so I'd rather not open up the radio.......

I don't believe there is any simple way to dim the display on the Quad 6. I have one and I never found the display to be terribly bright but it is an older unit. Maybe trying the red color at night might make it a little less intrusive?

JD

You must hardware mod radio to limit led current or apply darkening foil on display to make it dimmer.
Mod in attachment. You can omit the switch is you don't need brightness switching.
R value depends on your desired brightness.
Mike

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Reactions: Eldorado828
Thanks guys ! I tried the different colors but they are all too bright at night for my eyes.... The darkening foil is a good suggestion though, I may try that.

I think I will try mounting it somewhere lower down so the display isn't right in my eyes. Problem is it's a Rav4 and there isn't much room to mount anything anywhere ! I may try the side of the hump and see if I can fit it in there.

I always found it odd that they didn't incorporate a dimmer function on that radio. Surely it couldn't have been that difficult but I'm no engineer.
You can always check on Ebay or elsewhere and locate a photo neutral density filter. They come is a variety of strengths so you can vary the intensity. Just use a piece of velcro or something and you can pop it on and off at will.

Last edited:
I always found it odd that they didn't incorporate a dimmer function on that radio. Surely it couldn't have been that difficult but I'm no engineer.
I agree. Three menus of settings most of which I'd never touch, but no way to dim the display. Annoying to say the least.
The other thing that drives me nuts is the clarifier being on the same control as the squelch. Trying to adjust squelch while driving without also moving the clarifier is a real pain, especially with my big clumsy old hands ! The positions of the clarifier and RF gain controls should have been switched.

W9CLL... Thanks for the link for the dimming film, that is the solution I will go for.
There really aren't any options for moving the radio... just not enough room in the Rav4 anywhere other than top of the dash.

Reactions: w9cll

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.