• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Article about Ham radio

Interesting question posed there. I don't know if dropping the code requirement has "rejuvinated" interest in ham radio as much as other disasters has. I think the code requirement was preventing some technician class hams from getting higher license classes and those people have jumped at the opportunity to move up.

Rejuvinated? I think I would have picked a different word to describe what's been happening lately. I didn't even know ham radio had died!

The lack of a code requirement has simply made getting a license easier. I'm not so sure than lessening the 'knowledge' requirements has been such a good idea. That 'dumbing down' thingy is a fact, not just my opinion. Forget the code part of it, just take a look at the difference in required knowledge to pass the tests now as compared to 10-15 years ago. Then, from now to something like 20-25 years ago. Mighty big differences, huh? The same sort of thingy is happening to the commercial side too, not just the amateur side (eg: GROL -vs- 1st Class license of any sort). Think about it...
- 'Doc

(I'm at the point where it just doesn't matter to me anymore. Got the 'Extra' and the 'Grol', too lazy to get any of the endorsements. At my age, I'd never use them anyway.)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.