• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Astatic Meters... How good are they??

High Miler

May 30, 2005
Pennsylvania
I myself like my Bird meters but I am also an Astatic Die Hard fan as far as Mics are concerned..

Just wondering if anyone has used/Liked the meters they offer... I thought about getting one for the Shack... Just because of the name behind it if nothing more... That and I like the looks of the Hiher Dollar ones they have.

Just curious.

I had an Astatic 600. It was just OK. The SWR meter was pretty accurate, and it calibrated at very low power (which is nice). The power meter wasn't all that accurate. However, you can pop off the back cover and figure out how to calibrate the power meters pretty close if you have something else in line to calibrate to.

Not worth the money ? Hmmmm .....Why the hell not ? !! ......What is it around here ? Everybody and there brother has to have a Bird 43P ? ....I really don't think so . I personally like the older PDC's of the late 90s to the ones of today ,they can be calobrated very nicely and close enough for right around 100 bucks including the calobration ,maybe even less ? that ain't bad at all !! .....I can understand if one truly has the cash for a bird and the slugs to go with it , as far as IM concerned ,that ain't cheap !! I suppose one just needs to ask him or herself what it is that you truly need these meters for in the first place ? I just personally don't need a Bird meter , close and ballpark readings are all a guy like me really needs and 9 times out of 10 ,once everything is set up correctly ,chances are nil to see very much change there after . Would I like to have a Bird ? sure !! why not !! only if it were a offer I couldn't refuse or if somebody out there in Internet land wanted to give me one. (-: It's all good.

I am with you on the Bird 43 thing. Nice meter just too much price. I rather get a Palstar for my next new Meter $119.00
Coaxial Dynamics is probally the best quality meter but it is very high priced. The older PDC's that were made in Mexico are way better than today's version from China.

IM not up on Mexico/China ? but the 1997 PDC-600 I use was made right here in in the good ole US of A (-: Ohio I believe it was ? Ole Geekster from 1 Stop used to work for them ,said they were baught out by Palstar ......something along those lines . He also swore up and down that the older ones were very good and very very close to accurate for being in that dollar range. Ole Geekster knows his meters well.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.