• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

audio authority power supplies ?????

booty,

did you have a car battery hooked up with that power supply when you tested your TS500v?

the reason i ask is because usually power supplies that are rated at 50 amps put out 40 or so on the average, and you said that you measured 550 watts coming out of your amp.

if that power supply is running at 14 volts, and even if it actually is putting out 50 amps; that still only gets you just over 400 watts.

im giving the texas star the benefit of the doubt and calling it 60% efficient.

14 volts X 50 amps X .60 = 420 watts.

to get 550 watts, you would have to be drawing about 65 amps from that supply.

i would think that the supply would start clicking on and off when you modulated.

im just curious if its the wattmeter that is generous or if that supply was somehow putting out more than 50 amps.
LC

no battery , just the power supply LC . it is a 50 amp continuous powersupply . i use a astatic 700 meter . yea , its not a bird , but plenty close enough for me . its a commerical powersupply so i just put the seemingly inaccurate rf watts out to dc power/amperage of it being conservatively rated . i know TS rates the 500V to only need 45 amps max , but that doesnt jive with what ive read here about amp effiency/power in and power out . i think its probally a combination of a slightly happy meter and a P/S that can do more than its rated for . that 550-575 watts was with 20-21 watts modulated from the export i had . i have a uniden washington here now and the same meter shows my palomar 225 modulating 200-210 watts with 16-17 watts modulated into it . the 500V showed 500 watts with that same 16-17 watts modulated into it . at 575 the output limit light on the P/S would sometimes flash on modulation peaks , but it certianly wasnt a contious thing and some days didnt happen at all . i just put it down to variations in the actual volume of my speaking voice and my mouths proximity to the mic . the light NEVER came on using the washington .

Texas Star Export Feature Chart

im selling the 500V anyhow and the P.M.O. from the buyer should be here tuesday or wednesday . im not loosing any contacts going from 500 to 200 watts . ill probally sell the 2/77 locally and buy something smaller , and MUCH LIGHTER for the 225 . its wayyyyyy too heavy for most to want to pay the S&H it will cost .

PS2.jpg

no battery , just the power supply LC . it is a 50 amp continuous powersupply . i use a astatic 700 meter . yea , its not a bird , but plenty close enough for me . its a commerical powersupply so i just put the seemingly inaccurate rf watts out to dc power/amperage of it being conservatively rated . i know TS rates the 500V to only need 45 amps max , but that doesnt jive with what ive read here about amp effiency/power in and power out . i think its probally a combination of a slightly happy meter and a P/S that can do more than its rated for . that 550-575 watts was with 20-21 watts modulated from the export i had . i have a uniden washington here now and the same meter shows my palomar 225 modulating 200-210 watts with 16-17 watts modulated into it . the 500V showed 500 watts with that same 16-17 watts modulated into it . at 575 the output limit light on the P/S would sometimes flash on modulation peaks , but it certianly wasnt a contious thing and some days didnt happen at all . i just put it down to variations in the actual volume of my speaking voice and my mouths proximity to the mic . the light NEVER came on using the washington .

Texas Star Export Feature Chart

im selling the 500V anyhow and the P.M.O. from the buyer should be here tuesday or wednesday . im not loosing any contacts going from 500 to 200 watts . ill probally sell the 2/77 locally and buy something smaller , and MUCH LIGHTER for the 225 . its wayyyyyy too heavy for most to want to pay the S&H it will cost .

PS2.jpg
I know this thread is 7 years old, but I have the audio authority 100 amp power supply and I get no noise whatsoever in my receive or transmit. Guess I got lucky.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.