• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Background Noise

ctvanover

N/A
May 22, 2005
Archdale, NC 27263
I drive a 2000 model Peterbilt 379 with a Uni-bilt sleeper truck. I'm using a Magnum S9 and two Wilson Trucker 5000 antennas. I have a high background or static noise in my radio, but when I go through rain the noise disappears. When I first installed these antennas I had like a 1.2 to a 1.3 on both of them. I can hear a pretty good piece, like 2 to 3 miles maybe even more sometimes when the noise ain't too bad. I've been told that it gets out even farther.It also picks up electrical interference sometimes when I'm close to houses and power lines. Any Ideas? Any and all Help will be greatly Appreciated!

Chris

Chris,
It gets sort of 'involved', but 'SwitchKit' is right, has to do with the way things are making contact, or not making contact. Unfortunately, that noise isn't ~only~ dealing with the radio and antenna(s), but with everything carrying electricity in/around the truck. Ever sit at the house listening and notice noise getting less (or higher) when it starts raining? That's usually the result of water/rain on power line contacts either cleaning the dirt off, or 'finishing' making the contact. Power companies fix that sort of thingy by replacing lines. (I seriously doubt if they ever just clean up and re-tighten connections or contacts, which would do the same thing.)
Since you can do very little about noise generated by the 'things' around your truck, you are sort of stuck with correcting things in/on your truck. (You were wondering what you could do in all that free time you have, weren't you? :)) If it's loose or dirty, clean and tighten it. Everything, not just antennas, radios, power cords, rattling body panels, who knows what else. About the only thing you don't have to mess with is the pillow in the sleeper and the 'Monopoly' game!
After doing some of that for awhile, you'll be surprised at how much 'noise' you're willing to put up with.
'SwitchKit' is also right about those dual antennas, sort of. Depends a lot on exactly what you want to be able to do, but in most cases, they just aren't worth all the hassle. 'Simple' is good. I won't even try to get into which antenna is the 'best'! Most will work just fine as long as your expectations are reasonable. Personally, I couldn't care less about what the thing looks like if it works well, within reason, I'm 'partial' to pink ones...
- 'Doc

How do you know when you've done enough 'cleaning/tightening'? When you're to the point of ripping the @#$ radio out of the @#$ truck and seeing how far you can throw the @#$ thing. :)

Doc, you sure have a way with words. I have always enjoyed reading your posts. Sure know how to cut to the chase about things. Keep the post count ever moving upword. Sometimes remind me of my favorite radio story teller, and now the rest of the story........

Let me know when the book comes out.

Thanks for the info. I guess I'll have to keep trying different things. Someone told me to tie a small chain around one of the axles, just long enough to bump the ground every now and then. They said that the radial tires where building up a static electrical charge and the chain bumping the ground would release the charge and the noise in my radio would disappear....oh boy! Then I've been told to use some type of graphite powder in the wheel hubs because the bearings where losing ground while they were turning in the grease.....double oh boy! I don't know about these methods? I guess I'll try using just one antenna and leave the one on just for looks. If I go with just one antenna, How long should the coax be? Right now, I'm using a twelve foot co-phase coax.

Chris,
The 'grounding/static' strap and non-conducting grease/wheels/tires thingys have been around for quite a few years. And as people have found out, they don't work like you'd think to solve the noise problems.
Depending on what you are hauling, that ground/static strap can be a huge liability, don't take my word for that, ask the DOT. (Also why you don't see them very often anymore.) Those straps generate as much noise as they dissipate. Follow someone who has one. Ever see the sparks from the dragging chain? Sparks mean noise. Are you pulling a fuel tank? Think I'd drop back a mile or so, I hate gas explosions (not as much exaggeration in that as you might think).
Wheel bearings and grease. Those bearings inside that ring thingy are making metal to metal contact, and are conducting. What's your truck weight? Think a thin film of grease under that much pressure ISN'T gonna contact the bearing holder/ring, except right before lift-off?
Then, there's the fact that the body of the vehicle is providing the 'other half' of the typical mobile antenna. If grounding half the antenna is a good thing, why not just stick the end of a base antenna in the ground? There IS some exaggeration in that one, and it can be made to work, but not with the typical mobile and mobile antenna, sort of.
How long should the coax be to a single antenna? It should be long enough to reach between antenna and radio with some 'extra' to make routing and connecting stuff practical. There really isn't a 'magic' length. If the radio and coax are both 50 ohms, and if the antenna is at least close to 50 ohms (proper tuning/adjusting), then things will work fine. Lots of 'opinions' about that, but still boils down to the "works fine" point.
What's the absolute best, 'perfect', wonderiferous antenna to have? One that WORKS! After that, it's just a matter of which one you like the most. Nothing works great all the time. Pick what you can live with and not demolish bridges when you go under them.
- 'Doc

(There are only two 'perfect' antennas. The one before the last one you had, and the next one you'll have! All the rest are only so-so...)

Thanks Doc! I was kinda joking around about the chain and wheel bearing things. You'll hear all kinds of bull like those if you listen long and hard enough.

So far my best antennas have to be the Wilson Trucker 5000's. Yeah I've tried most of them, but I keep coming back to the 5000's. The reason for asking about the coax is you also hear if it's too short or if it's too long type of stuff. All of garble gets me confused. I've been trucking for about 18 years now. I started out in a straight truck, 10-wheeler, used 18 foot coax, a good Cobra 29 Classic or a Galaxy 33 or 44 with a 102" steel whip and sometimes get out farther and better. Now a days, it just gets too complicated anymore. Now I'm driving an 22 wheeler hauling coal here in eastern KY using an Magnum S9, converted over of course, and the Wilson 5000's, and they're tilted forward to keep them out of trees and underpasses. On a good day I know that I can be heard 15 to 25 miles down the road. People tell me that they have heard me in places that I didn't know that I could. I don't even use the turbo mod, but it will dead key about a 3 or 4 and swing a 40 easy. I know a lot of it has to do with weather conditions and hot spots. And I don't think a preamp would me either with the noise that I have and all.

It's been nice chatting. Keep the posts a coming. But this ol' boy has to get ready for church before his 73 year old mother takes a switch to him. She still tries to line me every now and then!

Are you using the ANL and/or NB on the radio ?? (I don't mean to sound too basic here)
What brand of engine are you running?
Does it only make noise when you are rolling?
I have had many noise problems & THEY WILL DRIVE US CRAZY !!!!

CAT 550! Rollin', Stopped, Runnin, it doesn't really matter! About the only time that I don't have any background noise is when it's a raining. Other than that it's wall to wall and tree top tall....I just can't hear like I want to.

Nope! But I do have a Sirius sat radio and it tears my radio up big time when it's turn on. The bkgrd noise really gets bad then. They make a direct cable for Sirius that I'm gonna try next.

ctvanover said:
CAT 550! Rollin', Stopped, Runnin, it doesn't really matter! About the only time that I don't have any background noise is when it's a raining. Other than that it's wall to wall and tree top tall....I just can't hear like I want to.

When you say that is "only when it's raining "......That sort of sounds like the "OLD RADIAL TIRE " noise issue. I have personally seen & experienced that many times myself.
Have the front bearings and / or wheel seals been serviced recently ?
Have you tried the graphite in the front wheel bearings ?
Truthfully, the best fix for this type problem that I have found is ....Using an old style 148 Cobra or Uniden Grant XL or LT OR a Superstar 360 FM radio. The filtering in these units will remove 99% of the noise you are talking about. I had an old truck one time with a Connex or a Galaxy radio that had so much STATIC it was driving me CRAZY !!!! I absolutely had to quit using these other radios ( the Galaxy , & Connex ) because I just couldn't hear anything.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.