• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Batteries

C2

Aug 3, 2005
Is battery technology really getting any better for the average consumer?

Here is my observation:

I have a 10 year old GE 900MHz phone. It still workd OK. The battery did not last as long as my new Uniden 2.4 GHz cordless, but it always worked good enough. (That was then)

Now, after having my Uniden unplugged for about 8 months, the battery is shot. I opened the cover and all these white crystals spilled out and made a mess, a nice corrosive mess. Meanwhile, the old GE phone works just as good as it did back then.

I have the same types of experiences with AA, AAA, and various special design battery types for HTs, cameras, etc.

I have come to the suspicion that battery technology has improved. There are better battery designs available today,

BUT

I also believe that the general consumer battery has also advanced to the level where it can provide short term mediocre performance, and then die a premature death. An advancement engineered to make the mfgs a buck! Maybe it is cheaper to make them that way, and it is certainly advantageous for them to fail, because the consumer will likey buy more of them.

Rechargeables have slipped to the life of the old alkalines around here. I used to be able to charge them a couple times before they would start leaking. I see the same thing now with these so-called rechargeables.

BTW, I've had nothing but bad luck with Uniden phones.

:(

The phones were NiCad, the AAAs were NiMH. The older ones were OK, but the newer ones are deader than the old ones.

Lithium huh?

The lithium batteries seem like the way to go, if possible. Now, if 'they' would start making the old 'larger' cell phones again, I might be a lot happier! Small ones are fine for carrying around, till you have to use the @#$ things. Big fingers need big buttons, and older eyes would sure appreciate bigger screens (maybe).
Guess I'm just old fasioned, unless I'm in the yard and expecting a call (unusual), who wants to carry around one of the silly things? And as far as people using them while they're driving... don't get me started.
- 'Doc

Oh yeah! Want to NOT get spam calls when they 'open up' the cell phone registery? Go here;
https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx
... if you haven't already.

I'm waiting for them to come out with the implantable phone. I think it was called a verichip or something :p

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.