• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

broadband antennas

john boy

Jan 24, 2008
ohio
[
I'm looking for an antenna that has a broad band with. One that will cover 10 and 11 meters without the swr going crazy. Is there something out there that will do it. Looking at base and mobil.

Good luck! But, I'm afraid you are out of it with a goal that 'wide'. There's always a 'cost' for bandwidth. That 'cost' is usually efficiency. An extreme example of that is a dummy load. Very nice SWR from day light to dark, but just doesn't radiate all that much (some, but not much). Guess it just depends on what you want, and how realistic it is.
- 'Doc

(Pun intended)

I'm using the Imax 2000 for that, from 20 mHz to 30 Mhz workable for 15/12/11/10.

Just with the factory ground radials, i made an few extra for 15 and 12.

Ineffective? not at all ;)

Justme,
I will agree that it's 'workable'. Which is not the same thing as efficient, or that it works well.
- 'Doc

C2,
No, that isn't what the 'pun' says, since he's looking for an antenna, so evidently doesn't have one. The 'pun' is saying that the idea isn't very... 'realistic'.
- 'Doc

(Pun still intended)

[
I'm looking for an antenna that has a broad band with. One that will cover 10 and 11 meters without the swr going crazy. Is there something out there that will do it. Looking at base and mobil.

to answer your question
mobile=z180 will easily do 10,11 meter i got one
base=imax2k or maco5/8
the maco will probaly have abouit a 1.5 swr on 10meters if ya set it up for 11
and visa versa

predator 10k
tune it in the dip around 27.555
that way you get upper part of 11mtr before to much changes and also get lower part of 10mtr before swr begins to change

or get you a 10k just for 10mter

There is actually an antenna can can easily do the job

will require a harder then typical install (burying ground wires for desires frequencies)

also is a bit pricey for most
and will not have much gain
but it will have a 1.1 to 1.2 swr if done correctly for all of 11 on up past the extra channels
right on into the 10 meter band

a couple of the Steppir antennas
they have verticals (basically unity gain on all frequencies it is used on)
or
their beams which have a great deal of gain

try looking at

www.steppir.com

is not cheep
but does do exactly what you asked

i have never used any of their antennas
wish i had the room to put up their MonstrIR beam

Doc, I succumb to my density...

Is it really that difficult to find an antenna that will cover this bandwidth.

I forget what the 2:1 bandwidth is of a classic 5/8 wave vertical?

Without that antenna being adjustable in some way, and at HF frequencies, yes. A lot of that deals with a radio wanting to see something close to a 50 ohm impedance. There are several ways of making that radio 'think' it sees 50 ohms when it really doesn't, it's seeing some other value of resistance plus some value of reactance which when combined seems like 50 ohms. That usually means that the radio is happy, which is good. The bad part about that is that only the resistive part of that equation does any radiating. Reactance does not radiate. So, while the SWR may read 1:1, if there's any reactance present there is also some loss of efficiency, it just doesn't radiate as well as it could. (Also why 'smaller' antennas don't work as well as the 'full sized' ones do. And why you don't use a 'wound' resistor in a dummy load...varying reactances.) That's for any 'size' antenna, not just 5/8w, 1/2w, or whatever.
For a single band of about 1 or 1.5 Mhz, the bandwidth can be sort of 'stretched' to cover it. Not real well, but it'll 'work'. When you get to something like 2 Mhz bandwidth, that 'not well' really goes up and that 'works' thingy takes a real beating.
Just depends on how you do the 'measuring' and what with. An SWR meter is one of the poorest methods of measuring how well an antenna 'works'/radiates. The other biggy is expecting more than is practical.
- 'Doc

Don't have un-'realistic' ideas. Sorry, I don't have much resistance for puns, they can sure be an impedance to understanding, huh?

Mr Clean,
No, I'm not. I'm in Oklahoma and if you've ever heard me on the air, I'd be surprised. Haven't done much of that lately. Most of the people I enjoyed talking to aren't around anymore, so I don't get the 'urge' very often, sort of.
- 'Doc

A wilson trucker 2000 or even a Radio Shack base loaded 64" whip will match under 1.5.1 on both 10 and 11 meters if it is mounted on the roof. I have been useing one just for this reason for a couple of years. The RS 64 inch baseloaded whip is by far the cheapest way to go and it is still a good antenna. http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2102661 I have run several 10/11 meter combo radios on these antennas with no problems with match.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.