• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Callsign Confusion

will85w4

Apr 12, 2010
Coachella Valley, So Cal
So I decided to Google the callsign I am going to be using and discovered a radio group down here in the Coachella Valley that is called Desert R.A.T.S. (Radio Amateur Transmitting Society). The callsign I am going to use is DesertRatRadio1127. I contacted the president of the club (VE7REZ) and let him know I had concerns over my callsign being confused with their radio group name on the air. Although it will be different bands, I want to avoid this perdicament all together. Was it smart of me to contact the club and advise them of the possible situation?

You sir, are a genious....

I'm not quite getting the confusion though.

Oh, and since you've told them about you, be sure to stay off 10 meters or you will get a zinger...

So, are you saying you are planning to bootlegging WD6RAT, and informed the holder of this intention. Callsigns are issued by the FCC, then you can go through and look at available vanity calls, and buy one.
Rich

So, are you saying you are planning to bootlegging WD6RAT, and informed the holder of this intention. Callsigns are issued by the FCC, then you can go through and look at available vanity calls, and buy one.
Rich

Not planning on bootlegging anything. I came up with a callsign, or handle if you will, for myself and then I discovered there is club with the same name as my callsign. I am not planning on claiming to be a member of their club as I am not a ham operator. I simply emailed the club president and let him know the situation. I am simply being polite so I do not piss anyone off. Don't hams usually identify themselves by callsigns assigned by the FCC? CB radio callsigns are not issued by the FCC, correct? Or are you saying I can, as a CB operator, purchase a callsign from the FCC for use on CB Bands?

A 'handle' (or 'nickname') is used for CB/AM mode - generally speaking. A number designation ('555', '257', '11', etc...) of personal choice is preferred for the CB in SSB mode.

However, Ham operators MUST use the designated call sign when making communications on any Ham band. If you are going to get a Ham license, then that will be issued by the FCC when you pass your exam.

In the mean time, if you are only operating on a CB radio; then have fun with it for what it is.
Apples and oranges here...

There are radio clubs for CB operators, they are generally operating on SSB mode. They can be found all over the internet. Sugar Delta ('SD'), Alpha Tango ('AT'), World Radio ('WR'), and a plethora of others. They often require that you talk to club aficionados to become a member. Then you can choose from a list - knowing that you will have a unique number to use. International DX contacts then can be placed into a data base for watching and understanding unique DX patterns throughout the world. Sites like 'Cluster.dx' is one.

I hope this helps some...

LOL no, you did not have to contact them about your handle.

they will only be using that name on the amateur radio bands, and they would not be caught dead using it on the CB band.

you will only be on the CB band and can call yourself whatever the hell you want.

you guys will never hear each other.

LC

LOL no, you did not have to contact them about your handle.

they will only be using that name on the amateur radio bands, and they would not be caught dead using it on the CB band.

you will only be on the CB band and can call yourself whatever the hell you want.

you guys will never hear each other.

LC

This is what I figured. I just wanted to let them know in case they (one of their club members) talks on CB as well and thinks I'm trying to "impersonate" being a member of their club or whatever.

Plus, maybe if I end up wanting to get a ham license I'll already be in the good graces of the club's board of directors...

I did, however, tell them about this website...

I think that even being 'polite' and notifying the holder of that call sign that you plan on using it on CB, you are opening yourself up for some possible problems. The same sort of problems people having the same name causes them. You get 'tarred' with their 'brush', they get 'tarred' with your 'brush'. See where that's going? Won't really matter if you explain what you're doing to every one you talk to, it's gonna happen anyway.
I honestly couldn't care less if you use a ham call sign. As long as it isn't mine, that is. I don't think either of us would enjoy that for very long.
- 'Doc

I'm really confused. You said that you discovered a radio group down in the Coachella Valley that is called Desert R.A.T.S. (Radio Amateur Transmitting Society). That's in So Cal right? Then you said you contacted the president of the club (VE7REZ) and let him know you had concerns over your callsign being confused with their radio group name on the air. Well VE7REZ is in British Columbia Canada.

Never mind. I just looked up the call VE7REZ. Apparently he likes to use his Canadian callsign while residing in the USA. I believe that is illegal since he resides in the USA I believe he needs to have a USA callsign. He can't go on using his Canadian callsign forever can he? Correct me if I am wrong somebody please. Also he does not know a few other things as he thinks his VE0REZ callsign is an international callsign. Newsflash: all ham calls are "international". Nobody else in the world has the same one as I do.The VE0 ( that's a zero) prefix is reserved for ocean going vessels only. At one time it was for any maritime mobile station but now it is just for vessels making international voyages.

OK rant over. I just don't understand WHY you would have even contacted him in the first place. :confused:

I'm really confused. You said that you discovered a radio group down in the Coachella Valley that is called Desert R.A.T.S. (Radio Amateur Transmitting Society). That's in So Cal right? Then you said you contacted the president of the club (VE7REZ) and let him know I had concerns over my callsign being confused with their radio group name on the air. Well VE7REZ is in British Columbia Canada.

he could be a snowbird...we are in a very popular resort area for northerners...

well hell,, if you are using 11 meters, who cares.

its a vast wasteland of noise,and mexican skip--lol

use any call sign you want:bdh:

You could always go by:

Desert Rat Radio 1127, the other white meat, Coachella Valley Standing by...

BTW -Doc there was a guy going by Doc around here for a while. I'll let him know you're not cool with that...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.