• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Can someone

Kevin

Aug 8, 2005
give me a basic run down of what peaking and tunning/modifing your CB does. Obviously it increases you range...but beyond that?

Does it increase recieve or just transmit?

Say you peak and tune a CB and it now does 20 watts instead of 4 does that mean your running at 20 watts all the time,even if you just want a traffic report 3 miles up. How do you avoid listening to somebody 50 or 100 miles out, just use the squelch?

What happens when you talk to someone around the corner, are you just louder and clearer, or completely overpowering?

Do you end up with the I can here you but you can't here me or visa versa because the other person isn't running enough power?

Thanks for listening to my sillly questions

What is done can vary from shop to shop so you need to ask. A complete tune and alignment will run more then a quickie transmit only tune.

Along time ago a good tech with the proper gear set up a Cobra 29 for me for 25 bucks, and I was in a rush that day so I was there for maybe 15 minutes. In stock form the radio was like this; dead key...3.5...swing...6-7 at 60% modulation.
after was this.........5.5...swing...22-24 at 100% modulation.
He also said the receive was out of tune and he adjusted things alittle.

The end result with that radio was more power, louder audio, and better receive. And he DID NOT clip or yank anything. There are so many other things that can be done as well as far as variable dead key, bigger final, echo, channels, NPC mod and so on. Hope this helps alittle.

Also beware of rediculous power claims from some hack shops. For the most part a standard peak and tune on a Cobra 25/29 style radio will give you 18-24 watts of honest clean power. Some shops yank the limiter and use a looooose Dosey meter and show you 40-50 watts. You can get to 40-50 watts but it takes alot of work, changing parts out, and lots of cash to do it right.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.