• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CB Radio on QUAD how to protect from weather?

Survival Bill

Oct 30, 2005
Canada
www.survivalbill.com
looking for a better idea what you got!

I am putting a CB on my Quad and was wondering what if anything could be done to waterproof the CB the only thing I can come up with is using a large zip lock bag with holes for cords to go through and tape up the holes to the wires anyone have a better idea I am thinking about mounting it between the handlebars as their is the instrument housing to attach it too..

atv11.jpg

Survival Bill said:
looking for a better idea what you got!

I am putting a CB on my Quad and was wondering what if anything could be done to waterproof the CB the only thing I can come up with is using a large zip lock bag with holes for cords to go through and tape up the holes to the wires anyone have a better idea I am thinking about mounting it between the handlebars as their is the instrument housing to attach it too..

atv11.jpg

If you're just going to be talking on AM, I think there is one, or perhaps two CB's that are somewhat weather resistant. I can't think of one at the moment, but if I do, I'll let you know, or, probably someone else here knows which one(s).

There is a way to do this, but what I'm going to suggest is time-consuming, and will entail some home-brew electronics. Build a couple of electronic POT's for your volume and squelch, and either a binary or BCD counter for your channel selector circuitry. The electronic pots can be installed in place of the stock vol/squelch, and controlled with simple waterproof membrane switches or waterproof push-buttons. The same goes for the counter circuit. Use any one of a number of available waterproof stereo or emergency communications speakers. When thats done, you can basically encase the radio in your choice of waterproofing material.

first thing I'll say is I'm not sure what kind of radio you want-- the cheapest and easiest way to do this would be just to pick up an old waterproof cb-- realistic made one for awhile that are available regularly on ebay-- just run it with a small amp and put the amp in a water proof box or in the cargo box of the quad and run the on/off switch remotely with a switch somewhere more convineant
The radio is straight am but with a small 25 watt amp it will work well for your situation
These realisitcs are much cheaper than alot of the waterproof marine cb's available
Anyhow, best thing is a commercially made weather/waterproof radio with a small amp kept in the cargo box or a waterproof box

bushwacker said:
realistic made one for awhile that are available regularly on ebay-- just run it with a small amp and put the amp in a water proof box or in the cargo box of the quad and run the on/off switch remotely with a switch somewhere more convineant

Maybe that's one of the ones I couldn't remember - was it yellow?

DTB Radio said:
I remember those now. Thats one of the few I've never had the chance to play with. They were a simpl affair if I remember correctly, just volume and squelch. I would agree that those would be good for your application.

I may be wrong, but it seems like some brand of radio pops up on EBay, and they are yellow and weather resistant.

You could also mount the radio inside a waterproof box and remove the knobs.Look around for some shaft extenders and extend the radio shafts through the box to the outside and reinstall the knobs on the ends of the shaft extenders.Mount the radio on the inside top of the box and drill a couple small holes in the bottom to allow water to drain out if any should happen to get in.You can extend the power and coax and seal around them as well.

ah ok thats more what im looking to do I will look for the knob shaft extenders now thanks for the tip....

QRN said:
You could also mount the radio inside a waterproof box and remove the knobs.Look around for some shaft extenders and extend the radio shafts through the box to the outside and reinstall the knobs on the ends of the shaft extenders.Mount the radio on the inside top of the box and drill a couple small holes in the bottom to allow water to drain out if any should happen to get in.You can extend the power and coax and seal around them as well.

I would assume you're not gonna be channel surfing a lot....
get a waterproof ammo can, drill a hole in the side and mount a mic extention in it, mount a waterproof speaker to the box, and there ya go

no channel surfing at all and that is a great idea!
I really don't need the ext speaker I could just use an ear plug or headphones mounted in my helmet...

bcrewcaptain said:
I would assume you're not gonna be channel surfing a lot....
get a waterproof ammo can, drill a hole in the side and mount a mic extention in it, mount a waterproof speaker to the box, and there ya go

there ya go...and for that matter you could get a speaker/headset combo with a ptt built in and only have to run one cord....so there ya got...10 bucks for an ammo box and then the cost of the headset

Ammo Can idea sounds good.
Look at West Marine or Boaters World. They have enclosures for marine electronics that will work well.
Ammo Can would be cheaper though.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.