• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 142 GTL

It's the predecessor to the Cobra 2000. It has a single conversion receiver as opposed to the dual conversion receiver in the 2000.

Its a fine, solid radio and a step down from the Cobra 2000.

IIRC, the RadShack TRC490 AM/SSB base used the same board as the 142. I've had a '490 for years and it's a solid rig. Never let me down.

As has been previously posted, the 142 is single-conversion. Due to Cobra's selection of filters (and implementation of the IF strip in general), the adjacent channel rejection is not as 'tight', if you will, as some of the other Cobra offerings....such as the '2000. This normally won't be a problem unless you live in an area with lots of high-power ops around you.

It's not a bad radio overall.

much agreed N8YX , I ran one for about 5 years as my main station , there still around and easily gotten for a more then fair price ,they were made well and over all low maintanace. May not be better then a older 148 or 2000 but certainly worked well for me , I also lived in a well radio populated area at the time but that never really caused me much trouble if any. Nowadays , I personally would not purchase a Cobra 2000 , they have not been built since 93 and the older they get the harder it is to replace parts on those , usually freq counter and or meters going bad , and power supplies as well. Just assume to run a old 148GTL and use my own power supply and or exstention freq counter if need be. The 142 GTL was a decent radio for me, no matter how I look at it.

Switch Kit said:
I personally would not purchase a Cobra 2000 , they have not been built since 93 and the older they get the harder it is to replace parts on those , usually freq counter and or meters going bad , and power supplies as well.
The 142 is even older and there are no problems getting ANY of these radio worked on!

Good radios that were ran on good antenna's with good swr's lasted for decades , l.e.d burn out , no biggy . I've just seen to many 2000's in my time needing repairs left and right , freq counters or bad power supplies ect.ect. , IM not putting down the radio and saying it's a bad radio , just not one I would invest in nowadays , even though they still get a fairly decent price for them. There's a lot of 142 on Ebay ,Why ? because they were well made decent radios for what they were. I could very easily change things on the 142 were I couldn't on a 2000, that's just me. Like I said before , I'd just go with a older 148/Grant if need be and not a 2000. I guess you can tell about now that IM truly not a fan of the Cobra 2000 , Hey !! it had a good 15 year or so run but so did the Grant XL ......it was surely a shame to see that one go )-: Peace

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.