• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 142 meters

jw142

Jun 29, 2005
Modulation meter is stuck on high side and S-meter is getting sticky. Is there anyway to get them working properly again? Thanks

MAYBE ? .....You can carefully take a jewlers screwdriver (small) on one side of the meters there should be what looks like scotch tape pull it up, or cut it off ,you will see a very small set screw down the hole ,very slightly and carefully turn the screw left and right SLIGHTLY !! you might get lucky and they will come back to life ? I also noticed with a lot of meters like that is that they get full of static electricity and this to can cause problems ...there is static spray you can buy and spray onto a rag and lightly whip the meters off with it ,also fabric softner will work the same way or there's those fabric sheets moms throw into the dryers ,you can just wet one of those and do the same thing , I've brought back a few meters in my time doing these things but i must admit ,there were those that were just plain gone )-: Good Luck to you. Switch Kit

Like he said, some meters can be freed up, and some can't. My take on this is that the plastic case of the meter shrinks slightly with age, and causes the tension on the pivot screws to increase, making the axle inside seize and get sticky.

The rear of the meter may or may not have a tension-set screw, but if it does, this is the safer one to molest.

Beware that a drop of clear enamel is usually applied to this screw at the factory to lock it into place. This is a tricky spot to attempt applying even a tiny drop of solvent to loosen. I have destroyed many a tiny jeweler's screwdriver trying to turn one of these. Sometimes that drop of enamel locks the screw down TOO well. And sometimes they will break loose. A half-turn counerclockwise, sometimes less is sufficient to slack off the tension and free up the pointer. For a while.

It's sure the cheapest thing to try first.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.