• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 148GTL SO239 connector

Smokinone

WDX-3820
Jun 24, 2020
Southern Nevada
I had an issue with intermittent receive on the 148 here. I tossed one coax already, then after I switched I was getting a drop out of signal. So as I moved the coax around and the signal came and went. Anyway, what it came down to was the chassis connector was wobbled out so the coax pin didn't have a tight fit.
So, going through my SO239 connectors, I noticed the newer D connector was larger diameter than the original, and also had a different configuration with the nut on the inside of the radio.

SO239_chassis_Cobra.jpg

As you can see the one on the right is the original Cobra connector, and the new one on the left that seems to be the only type available that I could find, does not fit into the hole as it is somewhat larger diameter as well as a different configuration. Luckily I had a junk front mic 148 that I was able to pillage from, now all is well. Shame the OEM types aren't available. I was almost at the point of either a flange connector, or enlarging the hole in the radio.
I guess the moral of the story is, don't throw away those old junker radios. This is the second time I had to pillage the front mic Cobra as I needed a power connector from it for another radio.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.