• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

cobra 29 meter

longhaireddwb

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Oct 8, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Having some medical issues so I find myself at home and not working so I dug into a cobra 29 (side mic) that someone had modded badly. Trying to get it back to factory as far as the switches and controls.

I've now gotten the switch rewired that allows you to take an swr reading and see tx/rx on the meter but... it's not reading TX. With my signal Gen I was able to set the RX. The swr reading are not high enough as if the meter is not getting enough signal to it. And like I said, the TX is nothing. No reading. The radio has a 4watt carrier and swings 20 so its putting out. I've changed the meter to a known good one, checked the meter for the resistor that is on some of them and it's not there so that's not it.

Looking at the schematics it looks to me that the signal is picked up by passing thru L10. Is this correct?
Any ideas why the meter would not be getting the TX signal?

Sorry, I had to get on another computer and go over this posting as it was all messed up as far as spelling. I got to get that auto-fill turned of on the tablet!

Anyway, Thanks for any help in this. I've checked the diodes and pots to be sure they are working so thats not the problem. It just acts like the meter is not getting the TX signal.

Last edited:

Thanks Rob. I had checked D12 and it was good. This morning I put a jumper wire from VR5 direct to the meter and it came alive. So started going backwards in the ciurut and found a broken wire. Got that fixed.

Then started with the SWR meter as it wouldn't read like it should. Acted like it wasn't getting enough signal. Found that VR206 (the control) was not working like it should. If you turned it all the way down to where it should read a straight short or close to that it still had 3K of resistance. Replaced it and now all is well.

Now to try and find the wires that go to the NB/ANL switch as they have been cut out too.

This is not a pretty radio or anything like that. Its more of a project just for kicks. I got enough of these 29's laying around that I can always open one up and do some tracing of wires but wheres the fun in that right? I need to learn more on reading schematics.

Now after I get this one all back together and working like it should I'm going to dive into the 2970 and see if I can figure out why the SSB dont want to adjust onto freq. when doing an alignment. I'm hoping for cans or caps being the problem and not that someone has scrapped things that need to be in there.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.