• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Cobra 75 WX ST Remote Radio

FJR Predator

Jun 24, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
Has anyone used the Cobra 75WXST radio? I have a car that's a classic and I really don't want to see a cb radio hanging around. The Cobra 75 WX ST seems like a cute little radio if it works well. I can even see hiding a small 150W linear in the trunk. The only cb radio I have now is mounted on my motorcycle. I only use the cb when on the road mainly for long highway rides. It would be nice to throw a radio in the car if it had a stealth setup. What do you guys think about this puppy?

Cobra Electronics 75 WX ST Compact/Remote Mount CB Radio with SoundTracker® and NOAA Weather

Attachments

• 75WXST.png
    75WXST.png
    71.4 KB · Views: 18

I have a Midland "clone" of that radio...they work like any other barefoot radio.

I asked about having mine tuned, and was told its unlikely it could be done. That's the only downfall in my opinion, you get what you get out of the box...no tweaking, no peaking. So you are stuck if it has poor RX/TX...and we all know how well a new radio is tuned from the factory.

The biggest problem with those "controls on the mic" for me is that they are not all that 'handy' till you get used to them, which can certainly take a while. Keeping from changing things when you don't intend to, that sort of thingy.
One alternative is just hide the radio in the glove-box, under the seat, wherever. And another 'problem' is the antenna on a 'classic car' thingy. Depending on the car, you may be able to get away with not permanently mounting an antenna (mag-mount, hinge mount, etc.). That depends on just how pure of a 'purist' you are.
I like radios and using them. But, if I had a '34 "Eliminator", ain't gonna be no aerials on it! You know?
- 'Doc

( :) Ask ol'Billy about that '34, or 'Cadzilla'!)

I had one of those very same Cobra radios years ago in my Jeep. It sucked ass. The receiver in it is as deaf as deaf can be. The transmit audio / power output was OK, but nothing to write home about. I remember one time I was driving home from work with that radio and keyed up right next to a trucker to ask him a question. I watched him pick up the mic, key and say something to me. Even thought I was right next to him, the squelch didn't even break open on my radio.

If you want a little radio that is onobtrusive, get a little Cobra 19 or Uniden 510 and find some place to bury it out of the way. They're a lot less money than those Cobra 75's, too.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.