• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Constructing a Siro D-27 BASE ANTENNA Copy Cat

LightFoot

Dec 28, 2008
My buddy has a driven element with the gamma match. Was wondering can he use that to work like the one that Siro has to offer? He wants to play around with it for kicks. It was from an old broken down Maco beam. Also what should the Length be about. Its actually a tapered element. Its 5/8 in diameter then 1/2 inch diameter going in the ends. perhaps 18 feet would be a good start. Thanks and Best regards...........:D

My buddy has a driven element with the gamma match. Was wondering can he use that to work like the one that Siro has to offer? He wants to play around with it for kicks. It was from an old broken down Maco beam. Also what should the Length be about. Its actually a tapered element. Its 5/8 in diameter then 1/2 inch diameter going in the ends. perhaps 18 feet would be a good start. Thanks and Best regards...........:D

If the material diameters are the same as the Sirio, then use the length they show in their manual. It may be closer to 211" for the middle of CB. It might even surprise you both how well it can work in DX if it is placed horizontal and you have some way to turn it. You won't have much gain, but when polarity differences matter that little bugger can be quite effective.

Hi Marconi,
Thank you for the reply. Actually I was Kinda hoping you would see my post and reply back. Appreciate the Info. Were going to help my buddy try it out for kicks................211 Inches. Got it and thank you. It should be a good start there................Best regards and wishes. LightFoot with the Golden Wave........................:D

Hi Marconi,
Thank you for the reply. Actually I was Kinda hoping you would see my post and reply back. Appreciate the Info. Were going to help my buddy try it out for kicks................211 Inches. Got it and thank you. It should be a good start there................Best regards and wishes. LightFoot with the Golden Wave........................:D

I checked here: CB 27 MHz Base Antenna, SD 27 Dipole and found out the Sirio shows 213.6" inches.

Good luck and be careful.

Thanks Marconi. I will check and see if Siro style is tapered to the same dimensions as this Maco Driven element with the Gamma Match. Or would you suggest going with the Maco Dimensions of their driven Element? Either way will try it. Best regards again..............(y)

I agree with what Marconi has written, however, I don't think he's suggesting the antenna isn't do-able if the tapers of the Maco and Sirio antennas differ. No matter what the tapers are on each of them, making the same kind of dipole Sirio has produced is completely possible with the materials you've got. The differences in the diameters/tapers if they exist is only noted to point out that there may be a slight length and gamma adjustment difference with your antenna to get your tune.

It can be done, and good service should be expected from it.

Thanks Marconi. I will check and see if Siro style is tapered to the same dimensions as this Maco Driven element with the Gamma Match. Or would you suggest going with the Maco Dimensions of their driven Element? Either way will try it. Best regards again..............(y)

It would be best to check out the actual dimensions. I think the Maco's typically have a 72" or 74" center that is 5/8" diameter and the 1/2" tips are then adjustable. I think the Sirio may be close, but the diameters maybe a tad different due to there use of metrics.

Thanks HomerBB and Marconi. Sounds Great . Ive always thought the tapered would make some difference. Were going to plug her into the MFJ 259b so it should be fairly Good. Looking forward to seeing the results. Hey Marconi yes its 72" at 5/8" with 1/2" sliding into that. Should be pretty close. Appreciate the info. (y)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.