• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

convert explorer 14 to rotatable dipole

NC1A

Nov 30, 2010
just wondering if anyone has had experience, bad or good, using a Hygain Explorer 14 quad band beam (1987 vintage tri-bander 10/15/20 with 30/40 M extender) as a rotatable dipole?

George,
I haven't done it, but can tell you that you will have to do some impedance matching to get it to work. Doing away with two elements with any tri-bander will mean the input impedance will go up. Shouldn't really be that difficult, but it'll have to be done.
Would it be worth doing? Just depends on what you have, and what you are expecting. It should be at least 'better' than a fixed dipole, and if the thing has damaged director/reflector elements, what'cha gonna loose?
- 'Doc

thanks Doc...well there is nothing wrong with the beam...just not able to put it on my house...I have no antenna now...I can get away with the dipole...ok on the input Z. I agree...was thinking it would be fun just trying it...i was going to borrow an antenna analyzer from the local club to try and get the Zs right...always cw so i lean toward using the 30/40 assembly on 30 only because it is consieralbly shorter...hight over ground estimated to be about 38 ft...I will try to keep you posted on my progress..new to this forum...thanks and 73. G.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.