• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

CW Practice

tuner

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Just wondering what methods of practice you guys use for your cw.

W1AW

G4FON CW trainer

MRX Software

??

There are several good ways of learning, practicing, or keeping your CW 'fresh'. All of them require that you listen to CW being sent. The 'how it's sent' can be 'live' on the air, and various and assorted methods involving 'non-live' listening. Whatever is most convenient for you is the 'best' for you. Personally, I think that 'live', on the air, is the most productive. It also get's you used to hearing/making 'goofs' and compensating for them.
Once you learn CW, that organic 'code reader' between your ears will always be more accurate than any other type of 'code reader'...
- 'Doc

I am currently in the process of learning and speeding up my skills. In my experience, things do get better the longer you stick with it - the first few weeks are very frustrating though.

I have been using a program called Just Learn Morse Code, available from Just Learn Morse Code

It's a free download, and allows you to listen to code combinations and repeat them back. Definitely worth a try, considering it's price.

Hope this helps!
--

http://www.codefusion.org/

Last edited:
Very good Gents I thank you very much, I got my 5 wpm ticket in 2006, I managed to get up to 7-8 wpm then I stopped. I do want to get back into it again. I learned with MRX Software and also used g4fon Koch method. It is a challenge and I hope to get my speed up over the winter. any of you gents work 40m or 80 m?

If you're looking for a friendly group to start out with, check out Straight Key Century Club. Yes, it's oriented around the use of a straight key, cootie (side swiper), or bug, but a lot of us think that starting out with a straight key is a good way to get proficient at Morse Code. Using an iambic (dual paddle) or single lever paddle with an electronic keyer is a different skill set which you will also want to explore.

One thing I've found is that the SKCC group maintains 7.114 MHz as its "elmer" frequency and new ops are welcomed enthusiastically. It is much like the Novice bands of old.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.