• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dipole Coaxial question.

so it will help out if installed not needed but it will clean up the RX and keep unwanted crap from happing? its kinda confusing but i know the FCC hasn't done there job in 30 years and now theres so many different radio waves/ static, out there causing problems. so this RF choke just helps out some.

Without going into alot of explanation yes it is needed, for a quiter recieve, better distribution of current (signal) both equals better performance.

A good dipole installed correctly is hard to beat for the price of the antenna.

The site that Audioshockwave linked you to is outstanding for information.

awesome guys ill look into it. i think im going to need to get a new coaxial cable thats longer. im not huge into radio shacks products but they have a good deal on 100' cable for 24$ that looks solid enough. my window is cursed with major obstructions in about 200degree field so im screwed till i stick an antenna about 30' or higher in the air.

i have two barns the house another house and such so i might try and put it layed out on the roof. its not perfect way of doing it but its what i can do. right now. but i will definitely put an RF choke in line with it. i hear to not coil wire into an RF choke on mobile rigs for some reason.

Consider this. Think twice about using a 100 ft of RS coax. Think twice about using a 50 ft piece of RS coax. 25 ft; hmmm - that is a squeaker. The high loss cable is made worse when it is longer; RS cable has high losses. Losing 6db/100 ft or more of receive signal is like robbing your radio of 1 S-unit. Doesn't seem like much; but some contacts are made that barely move the needle. That means you won't hear weak distant stations. It will rob 30% of your transmit power to boot.

I wouldn't use RS cable to tow a car.
Come to think of it - I have.
Didn't do that well - either.
lol!

Buy the length of coax you need online if you must. Buy $25 if you have to budget. But buy something that you won't regret spending money on. Having 100 ft of regret is what I remember with that purchase. Just trying to save you the grief - is all.

Google the 'Wireman' and buy from him. He's cheap and has decent stuff. You won't regret buying from him.
Check out the 'low-loss mini 8 coax'. That should work VERY well.
http://www.thewireman.com/coaxp.html#116

yeah i do understand how important a good coaxial is. the stuff i used before was some thing from RS and it was gray was ok, but shorted i take it. got a fire flex with fire ring and a fire stick II and holy crap works good on 4 watt CB, sure could use a 100w amp now

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.