• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

distance help

Jonc

Nov 16, 2010
Oxnard, CA
I was wondering what is the safe distance that should be between the antennas on the roof of my tahoe? I am using 2 scanners, 1 Kenwood and 1 Icom radio as scanners also, I know distance between scanner antennas doesn't really matter but how far from the scanner antennas should i mount my antenna for transmitting on my TK-780? I already have the 5 antennas set up in a triangle which are about 18inches apart but those are all for the scanners.

Jonc,
I think you already know that as long as it's just for receiving the distance between antennas isn't real critical. The distance you have those scanner antennas now probably does affect them to some extent, probably makes them all a little directional. If they are working to your satisfaction, I wouldn't worry about it though.
Transmitting antennas can be a bit 'pickier' than receiving antennas. As much distance between them as is practical isn't a bad idea. Lot's of 'scootch' room in that practical thingy though, and it just depends on what you may have easily available. I have two transmitting antennas on my car, both 2 meters, and about 3 feet apart. Not exactly the 'best' distance, but what was practical for my car (the installation part). They work just fine, and I just don't think it would be all that beneficial to move one or both of them. One 'fair' guesstimate for that distance thingy is the length of the longest antenna apart or more, if possible. I think you will find (if you haven't already) that when transmitting, the scanners, etc, will let you know when there's a too strong signal near by (over loading, squealing, etc.). So turn them off, or 'mute' them if you have that option, until you get through transmitting. That's probably what most people do in that circumstance. You do what you can, then contend with it.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

thank you! I just didn't want to blow out my scanners or other radios. But if that wont happen with 18+inches between the antennas then that helps me worry less..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.