• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

DOES THE RCI 2970DX PERFORM WELL ?

TonyV225

W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member
Apr 18, 2005
Wisconsin
I was wondering what your thoughts were on the RCI 2970DX model? And if the bugs are worked out I was looking at a few but have a straight RCI 2970 model now that sounds like $hi+ on SSB so I cant let my wife use it on the 10 meter band as I intended to

Helll its so raspy I cant use it at all . I tried internally backing the audio down the power aswell thinking one or the other was overdriven and still not good. There is a switch on the under front end that turns the internal (PA amplifier board) off when doing just that it sounds fine but turn that amplifier on and cover your ears its almost poisonous to the human ear and the Amateur world would surely not have nice things to say about its sound

I had heard a few other people say stay away but if the new versions are ok I may get rid of a few other radio Items I have like one of my Galaxy DX2527 base radios and try one of the 2970DX. Or am I better off with the 2950DX or is this the same just less power? Or would the 2510/2600 Uniden models with an external Amplifier be the best choice?

2970DX

Hi Tony,
Been running 2970's for the last 20 some years.I currently run a 2970DX from Bob's CB shack.It has the SP-1a speech processor installed.This is the best 2970 I've ever had.It does around 185 watts on SSB and 195 watts on AM.The best thing about this radio it runs so cool.I can rag-chew for 1/2 hour straight and the chassis is cool as a cucumber.Always get great audio reports.Hope this helps.

The 2950DX and the 2970DX are the same except for the power difference. There is a guy I talk to regularly on 27.365 lower side band that sounds great on it. He runs an Astatic 575. His is dead center on frequency. It sure seems to be a good sounding SSB radio to me. However, I do agree that the older-pre DX RCI 2950/70s sometimes do not sound very good on sideband. In fact, I've heard a few recently that sound downright nasty.

Yea, I have never heard of any problems with the 2970 or 2970DX. The ones that had issues were the base radio's, 2990 and 2995. The RCI 2950/2970 are not the kind of radio's you tinker with, you want yours working right send it to someone that knows there way through them.

Yeah your 2970 shouldn't be having an audio problem like this. Many times audio problems on SSB rigs comes from insufficient power supply factors. At home, the power supply used doesn't have enough amps and/or the voltage is low. Always have to remember that mobile radios are designed to run in a vehicle with the engine running, which will deliver a minimum of 13.8 volts. Up to 14.5 volts is better. Mobiles used at home on a power supply need at least a 20% if not higher amp rating than what the radio draws. The more overhead the better. And the voltage needs to be set at least at 13.8v and be able to hold that under load.

When mobile, the engine is going to have to be running on when SSB and running much more than 10 or 20 watts. Also have to make sure there is adequately large wire size going back to the battery or the radio will starve for power.

If all of this is covered, then something is wrong with the rig and should be checked out by a tech.

Hope any of this helps, good luck

interview.gif

As far as not enough power supply I have several 20 25 30 35 52 65 88 amp and a few more so ther was plenty of amperage available with the 52 amp alone.

Ive owned and still own all three versions of the 2950 and 2970's and the new dx versions of both. All are stable, but the newer DX version are a bit more so. With ranger trying to get business from both hams and cbers, The Dx versions dont have the same AM punch the older ones did. But they made them alot more stable on SSB and gave it a better stock filter(slightly more narrow). Im not saying they dont sound good on AM, just not quite as loud. I personally like the dx versions better, esp since they have 12 meter, Its nice to slide down and check the band instead of firing up the HF rigs

" The ones i have heard drift all over, and don't transmit where they receive.
Rich "

Then the people that were talking to you were lieing about what radio they ere running. That or they had Jimmie Joe Bob with one arm tune it for them. The 2950/2970 are one of the more stable SSB radio's out there. Maybe you were drifting.

I have never like opening the clarifier on these radio's either, it's not needed. If you want to change your transmit just put the dot under the last digit and move up or down with the dial or up/down buttons.

DOES THE RCI 2970DX PERFORM WELL?

(y) Yes! Mine Performs Perfect It is My Primary 10Meter Radio & The Clarifier is Strapped & the TX & RX Are Aligned ,strait out of the Box they are OFF usually transmit .2 high ever since I've been Around,35 yrs on the Radio(y) & I also Have President 2510/& Lincoln as well Hope I answered something for you 73's

You still can't get "everywhere" just by moving the last digit. It's especially troublesome when the radio is off freq to begin with, as they usually come straight out the box. Unless you're a "come to me" kind of guy that isn't going to move his unlocked clarifier (or vfo) in the first place, then I guess don't unlock the clarifier. I've always liked the ability to slide though, and cannot figure out why someone would not. As long as your radio is on frequency and everyone else you talk to is on frequency then you don't need an unlocked clarifier.

After all, a VFO is just a big "clarifier knob" to put it simply...I've never figured out why unlocking a clarifier was such a controversial issue.

949....404 here....i agree them rangers is spot on stability..listen to morgantown john on 27.3850 lsb at night and his 2950dx is the most stable on there..now if you wanna talk about drift its time to start talking about galaxies in the mobile in cold weather..

2970DX

I have run 2970's for over 30 years.I think it all depends who tunes them.I've never had a problem with drift.For years,ran an older 2970 in a Jeep Wrangler with a 102" whip.Many people thought I was running a base unit.The last 2970Dx I ran came from Bob's CB schack.This was the latest version with the small heat sink and the fans.Came with the SP-1a speech processor.This has to be the best 2970 I've ever run.It was the best talking and ran the coolest out of any radio I've ever run.Been thinking about the newest 2970N2 with the SP-1a.This could be my next radio.Merry Christmas.
73 Paul

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.