• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Dual Antenna's Question

If you send me that 'Moon Raker', I'll be happy to try it out. Oh, include the pole and mounting hardware while you're at it... And a rotor!
- 'Doc

Rather than keep asking questions, why don't you try experimenting and seeing for yourself what works and what doesn't? You'll learn a lot and save a lot making your own.

Would Mounting an Ol'' Moon Raker Vertically pointing straight up in the air
give me more range than a regular omni-directional antenna.

That was one of the most foolish ideas people had back in the 70's. For some unknown reason some people thought that taking a beam and pointing it straight up would "get more signal into the ionosphere" and make their signal stronger for talking skip. It defied all the laws of physics but some folks swore by it. I guess those folks couldn't read all the reports debunking it.Sure they worked skip but so did people on a mobile antenna. Furthermore think about this for a second. If a vertical yagi is pointing straight up then to a ground based station the antenna is HORIZONTALLY polarized.

Or would I be better off with the Maco V-5000?
YES as has already been stated before.

What effect would being vertical have on the moon-raker???
it may be good for skip.... rolling on floor laughing?
Anybody want to test this ideal???
Already covered that one above.

For what you want to do a SINGLE OMNIDIRECTIONAL antenna fits the bill. Mount it as high as you can and be done with it.

My question would be who is feeding you this BS about needing two antennas? I have known plenty of people who hear something from someone and take it as gospel. One antenna mounted high is all that is needed to talk to the trucks

Nobody is telling me I come from a family of Truckers and I just thought Dual Base antennas like Co-Phased Maco V5000's would make a statement....ROFL.... But didn't know if it would be practical... Refer to Post # 19 for my Map distances are in my quote in that post.

Honestly, the only thing dual antennas will accomplish is make a signal directional (bi-directional). If you want to give it a try then do so. That directional thingy comes at an expense, you won't have a very good signal in the other two directions. If you can make that 'fit' your requirements then good. If not, then it's just twice the expense of one antenna with no benefit.
- 'Doc

The distance between the antennas on trucks and what you are looking at doing at your house will result in very different results.

On a truck they get minor, perhaps barely noticeable, gain to their front and back at the cost of just as minor of a loss to either side of the vehicle.

As you spread the two antennas further apart the radiation pattern will have several major lobes but also some deep nulls. Those nulls will pass roads in your area, and maintaining a conversation with such an individual passing through such a null would be annoying at best. they would likely think they lost ya.

As was said above, a bigger antenna mounted as high as you can get it would be your best bet, and you seem to be headed in that direction.

The DB

Anybody can look at a book like the ARRL Antenna book and duplicate the patterns in it by using the same spacings and phasing line lengths. Once you start throwing in some odd spacings like "each end of the house" you had better know the math required to figure out the exact length the phasing lines need to be or it's a crap shoot as to what the result will be. It's not just a simple matter of plugging the main feedline into a TEE connector and running equal lengths to each antenna.

Reactions: 1 person
Now for the choice...

Shakesphere 176-1 VS. Antron-99

I've also considered the Maco V-5000

Which of the 3 is best for my circumstances???

one e-way is 3.6 miles from my house and one e-way is 7.8 miles from my house.
The E-ways make a circle around my base station
Keep in mind limited Budget Here

PLUS Add the Maco M103C to the 3 options in the qoute????

Attachments

• Map 3.jpg
    Map 3.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 47
I ponder things quite frequently. All sorts of things. Some deal with radios and antennas, some with with how far I can get on this tank of gas, and the popularity of some 'styles' of clothing, and the names of things. For me, pondering doesn't require much effort, not much brain sweat involved. After a bit of pondering I get to decide if I want or need to do any thinking about something to form an opinion about it. That doesn't always require much time/effort, but sometimes it can last for a considerable length of time and does evolve into an obsession. Yoga pants, for instance. And that can get confusing very quickly with all the variations. It all revolves around my interest in the subject...
- 'Doc

speaking of "E-Ways" & "roads" & "Pondering",.............

isn't that what water does on the roads when it rains?**Jump_im**

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.