• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

dual band base ant.duplexer

SARGE

Dec 26, 2005
TEXAS
Do you need a duplexer when using a dual band radio as a base or are there ant. that you can buy that dont need one,2m/70cm.Thanks.

The Cushcraft ARX-270 is a very good dual band antenna. I've been using one for about 20 years now and it hasn't given me any trouble at all. I think it's still on the market.

One low-loss, short-as-reasonably-possible coax to the feedpoint; that's it.

SARGE said:
Do you need a duplexer when using a dual band radio as a base or are there ant. that you can buy that dont need one,2m/70cm.Thanks.

My IC-207 dual band does not require a duplexer, but I seem to recall a rig I once owned that did, and I bought a Diamond. It worked very well

It all depends on the radio.
Many dual band rigs have an internal duplexer and a single SO-239 antenna connector. You can just attach a dual band antenna and go.
Others, such as my Yaesu FT-847, have separate outputs for HF, 6m, 2m & 70 cm. I run a dual band Diamond X-50 for 2/440 and have a duplexer combining the separate outputs of 2m/440 into a single antenna feedline.

What dual band radio do you have, or are thinking of using?

The radio that I am going to use is a Kenwood TW4000A. It has 2 connections on the back one for 2M and one for 70CM. This radio was given to me and I took it to a local HAM and he said it worked great he used it about 2 weeks.I use it to moniter the local ham net.Thanks

since as you say..
your radio has 2 seperate hook ups..
one is for UHF and other is for VHF..

then you do not require a external duplexer..

just about any dual band antenna will do..

myself i use a comet GP-9 (works extremly well)
if and when it becomes nesessary to replace the GP-9
then i will do so with the Dimond
http://www.rfparts.com/diamond/x700hna.html

above antenna is likly the best consumer dual band antenna out there..

Later

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.