• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

"Empty" tower, antenna suggestions?

office888

Jun 8, 2009
Hartford, MI
Alright, so I got ahold of a Rohn AX/BS tower. Surveyor is coming on Friday to mark underground utilities. Once I decide how to do the base, and finish resurfacing the metal, I'm putting this beast up.

It's a 40 ft tower, that's rated for 6 sq ft of antenna wind load.

The only thing I have planned to put on it so far is my Diamond F23 2m vertical, with 10 ft of rigid conduit as a mast.

Can't decide what else to put on it?

My station sits right now:
Yaesu FT101EE (160-10m)
Radioshack HTX242 (2m)

Maco V58 @ 31 ft

I plan to also put up a 80-10m dipole before the season is out.

However, what should I put on the tower?

2m Yagi?
6m Yagi?
10m Yagi?
20m Yagi?

6m is pretty popular in my area. I have thought about picking up a Ranger 5054 to work 6m with.

However, I also lack 2m capabilities. With my Diamond F23 at 30 ft, I have a hard time getting out via simplex. I get maybe 30 miles on 45w, and that's barely above the noise floor. I have that 5-el 2m yagi...I have thought about mounting that vertically.

At the same time, I REALLY enjoy working 10m when it's open. My Maco V58 works great when I find other stations with vertical polarity antennas too, however, I lack a screamer for horizontal polarity.

So vertical + big yagi?
Or vertical + two smaller ones?

I'm located in Southwest Michigan by the way.

Thanks!

MOST IMPORTANT?

You will need to decide which bands are the MOST IMPORTANT to you.I did NOT make that choice here since I have a Cushcraft 215WB(Horizontal)at 61 ft for 2 meter SSB,an M2 6M5X at 55ft for 6 meter SSB,a Cushcraft 13B2(vertical)at 53 ft for 2 meter FM,& a Mosley TA-53M at 50 ft for 10,12,15,17,& 20 meter HF all on a 50 ft Rohn 25 tower.Below the HF yagi I also have a
G5RV at 48 ft for 40 & 75 meters. I also have a PROTON 99 at 40 ft for 11 meters on a Rohn 25 tower by itself & a 6 meter vertical(unknown make)at just 12 ft for 6 meter FM on a piece of pipe by itself.ALL of these bands are IMPORTANT so I made a way to have them ALL.You can "NEVER" have to many antennas in the air! }:>) :whistle:

SIX-SHOOTER

Darn Six Shooter,

I thought I was bad with antenna farm.

MosleyProTH67B for 10 through 40 including WARC at 45 feet.

1/2wl 40 meter vertical, 1/4wl 80 meter vertical ground mounted

Mosley tribander TA33 at 75 feet.

23 foot vertical mounted above the TA33 direct feed no matching network tuneable in the shack from 10 through 40. Not to good on 40 but screams on 20 through 10 meters.

Four element five band fan dipole from 15 through 160.

Two quads and a three element 10/11 meter yagi on the ground, just got to decide where to put the towers up and what bands I want to work them on.

I see you are in Macclenny, I am near Gainesville FL.

On my 40 ft tower, I have a TA33JR right at the top. About 6 ft above that is a 5 ele 6 meter yagi.On the side i have a standoff with a pully for my doublet. Just below that is my 2 meter cb antenna.
Rich

PRO 67B

Darn Six Shooter,

I thought I was bad with antenna farm.

MosleyProTH67B for 10 through 40 including WARC at 45 feet.

1/2wl 40 meter vertical, 1/4wl 80 meter vertical ground mounted

Mosley tribander TA33 at 75 feet.

23 foot vertical mounted above the TA33 direct feed no matching network tuneable in the shack from 10 through 40. Not to good on 40 but screams on 20 through 10 meters.

Four element five band fan dipole from 15 through 160.

Two quads and a three element 10/11 meter yagi on the ground, just got to decide where to put the towers up and what bands I want to work them on.

I see you are in Macclenny, I am near Gainesville FL.

I would LOVE a PRO 67B for sure!That antenna KICKS BUTT because it CAN! }:>)

SIX-SHOOTER:D

I would LOVE a PRO 67B for sure!That antenna KICKS BUTT because it CAN! }:>)

SIX-SHOOTER:D

It is an awesome antenna but it is heavy, like over 120 lbs so really needs some Rohn 45 under it, that is why it is only at 45 feet instead of 100 feet.

If I had it to do again I would use a tribander, another three element warc beam and a two element 40 meter on two diffrent towers. that way it can all be used with Rohn 25 and not need the expense of Rohn 45 tower.

PRO 67B

It is an awesome antenna but it is heavy, like over 120 lbs so really needs some Rohn 45 under it, that is why it is only at 45 feet instead of 100 feet.

Local ham(Warren-AB4GE)is putting up a MOSLEY PRO 67B,M2 6M7JHV,& Cushcraft 215WB on a US Tower 55 footer & with the M2 rotor just 1/2 mile from me here with an ICOM 7700,ICOM 7000,& an ALPHA 87.He should do GREAT! GLAD we are FRIENDS with that setup. :D

SIX-SHOOTER

Nice antenna farm he is putting together.

Yes good things you are freinds especially with that Alpha sitting in the shack.

I had a chance to compare the Two antennas tonight into 6 land on 10 meters.

the tribander did a better job at 75 feet, I did lengthen the boom a little bit longer to make it better on 20 meters but it did about 6 to 12 db better on the 6 land recieve compared to the pro at 45 feet.

The pro has four element on 10 so it definately had to be the height of the ta33.

The JA's and JO's have been on 15 in the early evening around 5pm East coast time, 21.350 been working him almost every day this week with 100 watts.

Sorry about hi jacking the thread, it is sort of about antennas though.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.