• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

enhanceing performance on a laser 400

excavator701

May 23, 2005
anybody have any thought or secrets that they would share on how to make the performance of this antenna better?? i also heard that if you change the boom length and make the boom longer and work with the element spacing that this could help with the gain!!! is this true?? if so can someone give me some pointers thanks!!!!!!!

excavator701,
Generally, extending the boom and varying the element spacing can usually 'improve' a beam's gain/performance. The most common reason for that is that customers usually would rather not have an extremely long antenna (that 'extremely' is very relative), not quite as noticeable that way. Boom length and gain/performance are not directly proportional! Doubling the boom length isn't going to double the gain or performance unless the thing was a real dog to start with. In fact, it won't increase the gain much at all. It will sort of narrow the beam width a bit. Don't expect miracles.
Varying the element spacing can increase the gain/performance slightly, along with narrowing the beam width, slightly. The amount of improvement you see is going to be 'relative' to how 'bad' it was to start with (that's about like any relative, ain't it?). That 'improvement' is also going to be frequency dependent. Over about 40 channels, probably. Over a large chunk of frequencies, nope.
What would be the 'best' way to determine how long and the spacing for any particular band? Find one of the beam optimizer programs (or books) and play with it. A little 'salt' with the results of those optimizer thingys is definitely called for. Then figure the mechanical aspects of that modification. Would you think it would be worth it? Guess that just depends, doesn't it? (Just remember that a 'depends' is an adult diaper and you know what they are usually full of.) The idea is to have fun at it. If you enjoy 'messing' with antennas, then why not. If not, then not.
- 'Doc

701, get a hold of DXman. He has a real big beam and I think he uses it exclusively at his station.

I don't know the details, but I think he improved his performance quite a bit in gain and rejection by using some software to optimize his Maco. I guess he can measure his increases somehow, but he is the guy to ask.

excavator701

There are several modeling programs out there to help you redesign your antenna, but I think most of them are for a single polarity Yagi, but maybe someone could correct me if I am wrong on that.

This is the one I use, although it is by no means a TOP notch program such as the NEC, but it does work and it's the one I have used.
QuickYagi 4

I have my beam setup for narrow band and I have had GREAT SUCCESS with it over the years and I judge this by the fact of the many many places that I have talked to all over the world on 11 meters....with just 30 watts!
I have never have had the need to run an AMP through my 5 element!

Oh, the above program is FREE for the download.

I have a friend that runs one and it does a great job. He runs it using the spacing Maco recommends. I have another friend who runs a 500 but took off the quad reflector and has 7 elements spaced on a 40 ft boom. They both blow smoke.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.