• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

epay...radio costs

bought a Anytone 5555 N II
I just ordered one last week.....it should be here soon hopefully.
Everything takes forever to get here as there are no couriers and it all comes courtesy of the glacially slow Canada Post.
I need to take my Kenwood radio offline for a while in order to make some repairs, and I will use the 5555Nii as my base while I do that.
That, and it was too good of a deal to pass up for what it is.......

I don't really need another radio, but you know, CB=Constantly Buying :giggle:

My Cobra 148GTL usually sits on a shelf, happily increasing in value every year !

I just ordered one last week.....it should be here soon hopefully.
Everything takes forever to get here as there are no couriers and it all comes courtesy of the glacially slow Canada Post.
I need to take my Kenwood radio offline for a while in order to make some repairs, and I will use the 5555Nii as my base while I do that.
That, and it was too good of a deal to pass up for what it is.......

I don't really need another radio, but you know, CB=Constantly Buying :giggle:

My Cobra 148GTL usually sits on a shelf, happily increasing in value every year !
you'll love the Quad 5!

Reactions: BC Coyote
Pre-covid eBay was 8% seller fee. Now is 21% seller fee. eBay always stolen funds from shipping fees- makes no sense.
It makes sense to them, because I believe they have a more-or-less monopoly on online auctions for any and all categories.

What really stung was the new government tax rules that were supposed to have started January 1, 2023. It used to be, that, if you sold more than $20k a year it had to be reported as income. in 2022 they lowered that $20k per year down to $500 (maybe it was $600), and anything above that you would get a 1099 at the end of the year, and it appeared there was no escape... PayPal, Zelle, etc. would send you and the IRS 1099's.

Thankfully, due to the speed of which they Government moves had them nix it for 2023. Question: Does anyone know if it's now in effect, in 2024?

They're big business and kind of cater to business rather than individual.
They absolutely do and have been moving that direction for some years now.
Years ago my sister who is a "power seller" on Ebay with primarily books, went to a seminar about Ebay and that was a major topic.
The individual sales can be a big headache to deal with and they probably get more complaints about individual's sales than an organized regular business.

eBay always stolen funds from shipping fees- makes no sense.
Yes it does.
The problem was from people making listings with a real cheap price but a very high shipping cost to minimize what they had to pay Ebay in final costs so Ebay put an end to that for the most part.
Just people trying to cheat the system which worked for a while until Ebay got wise.

Back then you might see something like a GE Super Base with a starting bid of $1 and a $300 shipping cost. That sort of thing was quite common back then.
Maybe you win it for $25. Ebay collects a very small fee out of the $25 and the seller clears $300 with nothing taken out for final fees from that.

As far as their current fees go, Online is about the only place to sell CB or ham radio gear other than a hamfest. Ebay gives you the largest audience by far.
At a hamfest you have to keep prices very low for the most part if you really expect to sell much in the few hours you have.

In the past (before the internet) we had some ham/CB shops in town and could leave used gear there on consignment. It could take a few months to sell as used stuff was not the priority. The shop would collect 20 to 35% often depending on if you had originally bought it from them or not.

Last edited:
PayPal, Zelle, etc. would send you and the IRS 1099's.
Not Zelle or mere online money "friends and family" style transfer apps. They are not any different than using a Western Union money transfer. You send the money and it is gone forever. There is no protection like with PayPal goods and services.
They cannot tax my wife because I sent her $500 by Zelle when she is in Arizona visiting family (not that I would need to but you get the idea).

That is why I see a lot more asking for Zelle payment for online sales in these forums. I recently used it for the first time to buy a dual band handheld I was looking for and it worked out ok but one should be careful when there is no consumer protection with the payment process and it is online.

Last edited:
Not Zelle or mere online money "friends and family" style transfer apps. They are not any different than using a Western Union money transfer. You send the money and it is gone forever. There is no protection like with PayPal goods and services.
They cannot tax my wife because I sent her $500 by Zelle when she is in Arizona visiting family (not that I would need to but you get the idea).

That is why I see a lot more asking for Zelle payment for online sales in these forums. I recently used it for the first time to buy a dual band handheld I was looking for and it worked out ok but one should be careful when there is no consumer protection with the payment process and it is online.
Either they dropped Zelle or, if it's sent to someone with the same last name, but Zelle was originally on the list. Either way, I hope they think clearly and find something in-between $20k and $500. Even $3k-$5k would be fair.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.