• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FCC Seeks to Reassess RF Exposure Limits

ARRL

Nov 15, 2008
On March 27, the FCC released a First Report and Order, Further Notice of Proposed Rulemaking and a Notice of Inquiry (ET Docket Nos. 13-84 and 03-137). The documents seek to reassess the FCC’s RF exposure limits and policies, as well as to propose changes to the FCC’s rules regarding human exposure to RF electromagnetic fields. These proposed changes would affect the Amateur Radio Service (Par...

More...

I know MANY amateurs,... I would say that 90 - 95% do NOT comply with this standard<More audio><More audio>

Is the FCC on the up and up or is there an ulterior motive to limit this hobby further for the government's plans for emergency radio communications. Why,why,why? We are bombarded every day with electromagnetic waves. Why?

Is the FCC on the up and up or is there an ulterior motive?

You haven't given them enough time to attach a fine to this and start collecting. Then you'll have your answer. Motorola installed plenty of 60 watt VHF radios with the antenna on the fenders of vehicles. That's close enough to 24 feet of separation to the front seat passenger.

Rather than spontaneously deciding to make new sweeping rules that cover a broad area, why not zoom in on some real issues? Like the explosion in the rate of different cancers of the head, ear canal and brain since the advent of the cell phone? On the other hand, if the rules turn out to be any inconvenience, we could always hire lobbyists to make amateurs exempt too.

You haven't given them enough time to attach a fine to this and start collecting. Then you'll have your answer. Motorola installed plenty of 60 watt VHF radios with the antenna on the fenders of vehicles. That's close enough to 24 feet of separation to the front seat passenger.

Rather than spontaneously deciding to make new sweeping rules that cover a broad area, why not zoom in on some real issues? Like the explosion in the rate of different cancers of the head, ear canal and brain since the advent of the cell phone? On the other hand, if the rules turn out to be any inconvenience, we could always hire lobbyists to make amateurs exempt too.

Lower power emissions is okay in my book if the equipment is better and the power companies get a handle on their own noise pollution. I think today's generation of cell phones don't put out nearly as much as just previous generation

I agree that cell phones have gotten better. However, my Android still gets my hand warm if I talk on it more than 15 minuets. I can switch hands and the phone is not warm as if it were being charged. The new hand is good for about another 15 minuets before I notice it's warm. That's because this is how long it takes for 300 milliwatts at around 1 Ghz takes to heat the tissue enough for me to notice.

Next time you've been talking on your cell phone for a while and the phone seems warm, switch hands. Notice if the phone feels warm at first, or if it takes time. There is a subtle difference between electronics getting warm in your hand and RF heating your hand.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.