• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

filter caps question

9deuce

Jan 6, 2014
THAT LAKESIDEBOSS
hello all i have a question i hear ppl all the time talking about changing there caps in there cb radios what is this for should i do it does it affect TX or RX only im new to sodering so id like to know i have some old radios that have 2200uf 1000uf 480uf and a few others that are lower that i could use should i do this ive been sodering for a year now im no beginer but certainly no expert
plz advise me on this if it beter i see why not :unsure:

well i live around high voltage pwr line and a cb shop buddie said upgraing the caps would cut out alot of the noise and im thinking if i do upgrade the caps wont that cut out or limit my RX or TX?

What most people are talking about is that some radios only have 16 volt rated capacitors and that is running a little close to the normal operating voltage of about 14 volts especially in a mobile where it may be even slightly higher. They sub them out for 25 volt devices. If the radio is quite old some capacitors may be below their rated values and should be replaced but just to do it because someone said so is, like m42duster said, idiotic.

I asked my fav tech about if the 1000uF 25 volt caps needed upgraded in my Ranger TRE-936ffc and this is the reply I got. "The 1000 uf caps are generally fine unless you end up getting a ton of electrical noise through the power leads."

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio