• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Final results on Tetrode build?

Naysayer

Said Nay
Mar 6, 2020
New York
First attempt to drive amp with more than a CB. Amp was running NOS 300A tubes. One is gold color the other more common silver color. Watt meter is a 1990's Radio Shack.

When driven with 5w AM from the Yaesu, I see 500w PO. Any more than 5w drive, amp bogs down, running lights dim (lights powered by a separate transformer). Plate current at 500w is 300mA which I thought low for 2 tubes. Plate voltage on standby is 2.4k which decreases to 2k on transmit. These tubes could heat a small room. Data sheet states 250mA max plate current.

SSB PO peaks about 600w with same 5w drive. Not much difference from AM, I expected more swing on SSB. No Control Grid current that I can see. 20mA Screen current.

I’m disappointed at the max drive issue but 5w In to 500w Out is a 1:100 increase. The dimming panel lights suggest amp starved for current. Using 15A fuse on mains for Plate & Screen transformers.

n2eye

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.