• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

FRS EXTERNAL ANTENNA

I mentioned using a Dual Band High gain antenna
because..

I use the Comet GP-9 on both MURS and FRS/GMRS
usally swr's are about 1.4 to 1.6 while doing so

However i am also using Andrews Heliax LDF7-50A coax/feedline

And yes i get Great range
Having gotten 20-30 on MURS and 30-50 on GMRS

However i also have it at 52 FT up at the base and there is nothing impeding the RF from getting out for miles in all directions (1/3 mile west is a much taller building)

So far I have gotten 42 miles on MURS, and GMRS, never found anyone on, so have no idea on what the range is.
I am changing to a low loss coax Belden 9913 within the next few weeks.

If anyone wants a good quality MURS or GMRS radio, I picked them up at ...e mail me and will give you the web page. Cost for MURS around $129 plus shipping, and GMRS about $10 more, either ICOM or Vertex refurbished but waranty.

Cheers

DOCTOR/795

The thing about MURS radios, is the limit of power used. But an external antenna can be used. So, getting the max gain you can would be a proper way to run with it. The American way to do things, is to hot-rod what one has to work with. Maybe someone can re-tune the radiator/director lengths on an older 2 meter yagi antenna for MURS band - and then write a review on the results. Or - maybe someone has already done it...

Last edited:
Maybe someone can re-tune the radiator/director lengths on an older 2 meter yagi antenna
Why 2 meter, surplus yagi,multi element dipole and omni for the VHF "hi-band" are everywhere on the surplus market. You could find an old tower, one thats covered in coax and antennas, and go shake a guy wire until one of the antennas falls off. (yes they do fall off, crap work was typical of that era)

Does anybody have the idea how to solder external antenna connector (like SMA), leaving the factory antenna (so the radio doesn't have to be attached to the cable all the time)? Cell phones used to have it like this. I guess, they can't be just soldered together to same spot or can they?

FRS/GMRS

I read were the FCC is talking about DOING AWAY with the GMRS license & fees.They have better range due to higher power output so keep your eyes open for updates on that.I saw a GMRS HT the other night on ebay with a removable antenna with a BNC connector.That would be the ticket if you could find some of those. (y)

SIX-SHOOTER

I'm outside of the US and nobody cares about antenna mods here. It's for me more of theoretical interest how is that done - in parallel or there should be some switch between antennas.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.