• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

G'Day from Australia

frostbite

Mar 16, 2008
COOMA NSW AUSTRALIA
Hi to ALL -
As I am NEW here I just wanted to say G'Day from Australia to all other users of this forum.... I am only fairly new to Amateur Radio (approx 12mths) and currently a Foundation Licence holder here in OZ. I am studying for the upgrade to the Standard Licence of which I will sit the exams in a couple of weeks and hopefully obtain the 'S' call and a three letter suffix instead of the current four letter (make it a lot better for DX).

The current arrangements are for 3 classes of licence F, S, A, being Foundation, Standard and Advanced levels, with each upgrade a higher power output level may be used as well as extra bands to operate on....

The foundation licence is a good starting point for new operators but very limited in power (10w PEP) but we do get to use 80,40,15,10 meter bands as well as 2m and 70cm - the biggest hurdle with the F call is the 4 letter suffix - makes it very frustrating at times for working DX countries as they just can't seem to grasp the concept of a 4 letter suffix callsign...

I am looking forward to upgrading to the Standard and later on maybe the Advanced, but at least with the Standard call I will get a new callsign with a 3 letter suffix and be allowed to use 100w PEP plus pick up a few more bands to use including 10m & 6m and a couple of higher ones too...

I am enjoying the hobby very much and have made a few good DX contacts running 10w and my 80m Superloop antenna.... my main concern at the moment is an intermittent problem with my radio, a YAESU FT-900 which is giving me trouble presently, someone may be able to help - please have a read of my posting on the HF Rigs and see if you or someone you know may be able to help - I would be ever so appreciative....

Anyway, G'Day to you ALL from COOMA, NSW Australia, Gateway to the Snowy Mountains here in Australia.... ciao.

Cheers, 73's
Greg VK2FFLH

Glad to have you Greg ! And thanks for telling us a little of how the licensing works there in Australia. Hope to be able to work you on the bands some day !

Welcome to the forum Greg. Nice to have a member from the bottom side of the planet. I hear what you are saying about the 4 letter suffix. I first encountered one as a moderator on another forum and thought he was just pretending.It did not help matters that he did not explain what the 4 letters were for and the combination of the letters made me very suspicious. The WIA (I think it is called that) should have given more thought before issuing that call. :D

On Edit: DANG! Ron beat me to it!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.