• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Get your rest now....

Nursecosmo

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin Northwoods
I guess I'll have to make my first post sometime or another, so....

It looks like there will be the possibility for some good VHF Dxing early Tuesday morning.

Leonid meteor shower to peak Tuesday - CNN.com

If I get a slow moment at work, I'll try monitoring on 6 meters with my HT. You never know. Stranger things have happened than scatter contacts on an HT. The only problem is that it will only do AM or FM. SSB or CW is out. I have been unable to find any dedicated scatter frequencies for AM or FM. Is there such a thing?

After some searching around, I found this page that has some info on working meteor scatter on 2m & 6m:

VHF Meteor Shower operating - Ham Radio Personal Site.

Here's a link to the software that these guys are using to do this weak signal work:

WSJT Home Page

It looks like working meteor scatter could be very interesting and fun. I think I have something new to study about to see if I can make it happen for the next meteor shower :)

...it looks like working meteor scatter could be very interesting and fun...

scatter is pretty much NON directional. most operators (any where in N.A.) that use directional antennas just point them due north and listen for the "burns";).

i'm working va, oh, pa, ect from sw florida (el86) right now

Last edited:
Well it was a crazy night at the hospital (must have been meteor related) so I didn't get to even switch off of our local ambulance paging frequency . I still want to get into some of this MS dxing. Has anyone ever done it on an HT?

I still want to get into some of this MS dxing. Has anyone ever done it on an HT?

What I've read about it over the last 24 hours is that you need a SSB rig. It looks like most people are using directional antennas, although many are doing it with gain verticals and at least 100 watts, if not more.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.