• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Good price for virgin Taiwan 148?

ChuckZilla

Aug 16, 2010
Hi all, new guy here just getting back into radio and I've come across a never opened Taiwan made 148GTL with 5 pin side mic conn, serial starting with 8. It is very lightly used. I'm looking to sell the radio (I realize this isn't the for sale forum) but was hoping for a clue as where to start price wise. Do I have something special here or are these radios pretty common? New Chinese 148's are $150.00. Should I start at that price and hope to get more?

Thanks for any replies.

Chuck
214 SoCal

never opened as in the radio was not opened? if it was new in box it would be worth $125 + all day on ebay (NIB 148f's hardly see $175 now). used its hard to say, they are not as sought after anymore. the hobby is pretty thin and there are a lot of radios out there to be had (the 148's were made for 20+ years). if you got $100 on ebay these days its good money. really clean ones have a hard time getting $75 on ebay some times. just 2-3 years ago they were getting $300.

keep it and use it. its one of the better ssb radio's out there. low post counts usually don't appeal to the buyers around here, many of us wont but from those that are here just to turn a buck.

never opened as in the radio was not opened? if it was new in box it would be worth $125 + all day on ebay (NIB 148f's hardly see $175 now). used its hard to say, they are not as sought after anymore. the hobby is pretty thin and there are a lot of radios out there to be had (the 148's were made for 20+ years). if you got $100 on ebay these days its good money. really clean ones have a hard time getting $75 on ebay some times. just 2-3 years ago they were getting $300.

keep it and use it. its one of the better ssb radio's out there. low post counts usually don't appeal to the buyers around here, many of us wont but from those that are here just to turn a buck.

You must not spend much time on Ebay. NIB/NOS 148F radios go for a minimum of $250 and a max of $350........that is the non export version. At least the Ebay idiots pay that much.
The Malaysian and Phillipines 148s go for $175-$275.....insane yes.
The Taiwan 148s are the least desireable but when they are working fine......they perform just as good as the M and P manufactured 148s. $125-$175 are typical numbers.
Any 148 made in China should be disposed of in a landfill......maybe not since the Chinese use all kinds of toxic materials in all their crap.

Thanks for the input guys. Guess I either need to hang out a while and get the post count up or throw it on ebay.

Thanks again.

Chuck

You must not spend much time on Ebay. NIB/NOS 148F radios go for a minimum of $250 and a max of $350........that is the non export version. At least the Ebay idiots pay that much.
The Malaysian and Phillipines 148s go for $175-$275.....insane yes.
The Taiwan 148s are the least desireable but when they are working fine......they perform just as good as the M and P manufactured 148s. $125-$175 are typical numbers.
Any 148 made in China should be disposed of in a landfill......maybe not since the Chinese use all kinds of toxic materials in all their crap.

The best 148 the 148 gtl dx export version was taiwanese made.

nothing wrong with the Taiwan 148's other than some had problems with the finals over the years. Taiwan's are the oldest of the bunch but not as desiarable as the phillipene's models. to many buyers. beter than the malay versions at least.

why do the dx's have such a following in the uk? they were never very popular on this side of the big pond.
i guess thats the difference between the us an uk, we use 99.9% am and the other .01% use lsb. they should have went fm from the beginning. im still trying to figure our why the 3600 series mainboards were so popular over here. they were all but usless on ssb.

comparing a dx to a non dx is apples to bananas. the name and perhaps the pll (early) is the only thing that interchanges between the two.

Last edited:
I have no idea why the 148 gtl dx holds such legendary status here,the superstar 360 fm is exactly the same radio but has nowhere near the cult following the 148's have.we use about 60% usb here and about 40% nowdays on ukfm,which i wouldn't wish on anyone,the hiss from an fm receiver is brain damage.AM use all but died out back in 82-83 just after the uk government legalised FM,previous to that imported AM sets from the states were the mainstay of uk cb.

i would imagine the 148 gtl dx became legendary back in 80-81 when the solar peak was fantastic and people made contacts worldwide on them.the mk2 version was also extremely easy to modify for super low and super high band,which allowed use on 26.285 and meant it could cover all 40 ukfm channels too.they were also extremely good compared to everything else available at the time for adjacent channel rejection which made them very popular here when cb was at its peak.

there was never a problem here with taiwan made 148 gtl dx's blowing finals unless some f@ckwit upped the alc or am carrier power,set for standard 4w am/12w ssb they run for years,as they used the mitsubishi 2sc2312 final.theres plenty here still have the original final in them 3 decades later,

in saying that i have two philippine made equivalents and they are also excellent radios.as far as i know there was no pb010 chassis made in malaysia so i can't comment on their build quality,although i've seen plenty other chassis out of malaysia and none are as good as either taiwan or philippine made radios.

taiwan made jacksons were superb radios too.

the early 148 gtl dx wasn't as good as the later pb010 version,i always wondered why they never made a pb010 base station,like the cobra 2000 gtl or president madison,would have sold loads here.

nothing wrong with the Taiwan 148's other than some had problems with the finals over the years. Taiwan's are the oldest of the bunch but not as desiarable as the phillipene's models. to many buyers. beter than the malay versions at least.

why do the dx's have such a following in the uk? they were never very popular on this side of the big pond.
i guess thats the difference between the us an uk, we use 99.9% am and the other .01% use lsb. they should have went fm from the beginning. im still trying to figure our why the 3600 series mainboards were so popular over here. they were all but usless on ssb.

comparing a dx to a non dx is apples to bananas. the name and perhaps the pll (early) is the only thing that interchanges between the two.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.