• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Got a power supply, need input on tube(s)

rumrunner

"Yeah. I'm the one"
Apr 14, 2009
In the low country of S.C.
I've got a 6200 volt @ 1.5 amp CCS transformer - center tapped. Along with filters (oil filled). My B/C engineer buddy says the transformer is good for 2.0/2.5 amps no problem. (weighs 75 Lbs.) Nice stuff. My question is what tube do I need to look at for an amp build? I've got nice roller inductors (preferred material). Door knob caps, Tank coil, and a nice cabinet. Russian toobs? Tell me what you think. What would you do? The only half-azzed tech I know says "three or four 3-500z's." I think one big toob is always better. Hell, my SB-220 is got two 3-500z's. I'm lookin' for options.....and suggestions. This supply could develop a LOT of Wham. And it is free.... Rumrunner out....

With that kinda voltage with no load, could run a 3000 or a 6000. Wouldn't see max, but you would get good numbers anyways. The 3000 is only rated at 5kV, but many guys run higher than that. Your comment about preferred material is funny. Must hang out on Mauldroppers.

If you are lookng to play on the lower bands, a pair of 4X1 would scream with that type of B+ on top of them.

3cx3000a7. rugged, resilient, cheap to keep and available everywhere.
You can even buy a cabinet that will bolt together an amp with off the shelf parts.

On another topic. at 75 lbs even... I dont know if Id say it could pass 2.5 amps even intermittently. I bought a 1.3 amp ccs transformer at 6043v that was rated to surge 2 amps. It weighed 125 lbs or so.

Good luck on the QRO project. Even if you just cruise it at a couple thousand watts it will last FOREVER and have tons of headroom. You will never be happier than when you are throwing 2 minute keys on the air rag chewing till the cows come home and not worrying about heat etc... just underrate the components and have fun.

6200v x rectification & filtering will be over 8700v at idle, too much for a 4-1000A unless you enjoy generating X-rays, but if you use the center tap you'll see about half that voltage, 4400v sagging to about 3800v under load which should make a set of Taylor 3-500ZGs sing to 2Kw with ~125w drive.

Linearone - I've got the huge choke that was in the B/C transmitter the other iron came from. I've also got a couple of massive variac's. One was used in the plate supply if I remember correctly. We might figger sumthin out yet!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    AKA- UDX122
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.