• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Grandfahter's Radio

Barkoff

Oct 12, 2008
Just curious, can anyone recognize what he had back in the day?

W6WTB72.jpg
[/IMG]

Johnson transmitter on the left, National receiver on the right. Wish I could tell you the model numbers, can't remember. Considering the times, not 'shabby'. Looks like a '24 hr' clock and a 'World Map', not to mention what looks like a phone patch in the console. Nope, not too 'shabby' at all!
- 'Doc

Looks like a National NC303, and of course EF Johnson Valiant.. I just bought a Valiant a few days ago, going to do a full restore on the old fellow.. some very nice Boat Anchors there, cool old picture, thanks for sharing....

I do remember the beanbag ashtray (before he quit smoking). :)

I hadn't noticed the phone patch, but I do remember a couple of Navy ships had sent him pictures of the ship with some sort of commendation. If I remember right crewmen on ship would radio him, and then he would dial their home phone numbers and connect the sailors with their families. I guess now sailors all have cell phone and e-mail.

Let me ask you something that might be something I just imagined as a small kid. Thousands of time I heard him broadcast W6WTB, but my memory tells me sometimes he finished it up with "rutabaker, or rutabaga", what did that signify? "W6WTB Rutabaga"

Thanks

Let me ask you something that might be something I just imagined as a small kid. Thousands of time I heard him broadcast W6WTB, but my memory tells me sometimes he finished it up with "rutabaker, or rutabaga", what did that signify? "W6WTB Rutabaga"
Thanks

Just a WAG on the "rutabaga", but I sort of think it was a phonetic thing regarding the "WTB" suffix of his call. "Baker" was the official phonetic for the letter "B" in them days. As for the "ruta" part, maybe a mispronounced "R" coming out as "W" (think Elmer Fudd)...

Was his last name Barkoff?

As I said, this is just a WAG (wild-"donkey"-guess).

Those were WWII pre and post war phonetics and they are listed as such.

Able
Baker
Charlie
Dog
Easy
Fox
George
How
Item
Jig
King
Love
Mike
Nan
Oboe
Peter
Queen
Roger
Sugar
Tare
Uncle
Victor
William
X-ray
Yoke
Zebra.

And for today then we have Hams who don't know any of these and you might hear
Name is Tim - Texaco Indigo Macy's Actually heard this one!

I go by Micheal Ida Tom Charles Henry

I always thought T=Tango

I sure blew it by not snagging it when offered, but I thought he should sell it and spend the money on himself. In retrospect he probably would have been thrilled if I had taken it.

I always thought T=Tango

I sure blew it by not snagging it when offered, but I thought he should sell it and spend the money on himself. In retrospect he probably would have been thrilled if I had taken it.
there were several list of different phonetics where I found that info and always remember "you can't take it with you" so share it while you are Able.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.