• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

ground screw power supply

Splash1

Jun 11, 2006
70 amp ps has a screw on the back for a external ground.been running it a year now an never noticed it..havnt noticed any problems..is it important to hook this up? didnt realy want to becauce thats just another thing you have to undo in the event of a storm.

70 amp ps has a screw on the back for a external ground.been running it a year now an never noticed it..havnt noticed any problems..is it important to hook this up? didnt realy want to becauce thats just another thing you have to undo in the event of a storm.

If you disconnect the ac power cord and power cords from appliances then your golden.

If you are using AC outta the wall you are already grounded. I am guessing that ground screw is for maybe if you were out in the field somewheres using a generator.

Good Practice says it is a good idea to ground all of your equipment.
And as Mack said, as long as you pull your Ac cords that should be good, i see no reason to unhook your grounds.
Lighting protection for all of your radio stuff is a good idea as well as unhooking coax before thunderstorms.

Jeff

It isn't always necessary to use a provided grounding point. Easiest way I can think of to find out is to hook the thing up to a known 'good' ground system. No change in anything? Leave it or disconnect it, your preference. In general, it's a good idea to use any provided ground point and a good ground system. 'Convenience' alone, isn't a very good reason not too use a ground. Lot's of "if's" in that...
- 'Doc

I would hook it up to other equipment grounds (if there is one or any) Its just good practice and remember the supply is grounded when its plugged in so just unplug from outlet durring a storm. I plug everything other than amplifiers (which are on seperate circuits) into a power strip and just unplug that strip cord and all is unplugged in one pull ;)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.