• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hamcom 2008

Dealer

Aug 30, 2005
Post Oak Bend,Texas
Just got back from hamcom 2008 in Plano,Texas and brought home
with me, my General CSCE and a nice Certificate of Achievement from Gordon West
Radio School signed by Gordon himself.

Lots of fun, but way to hot for much parking lot browsing. It is already in the ULS
and now I have to wait for that word Granted to show up.
Until then will be using that Temp AG :)

Going to be picking brains on Wire Antennas, and will even ask Doc :) a few questions
since I have not ever done the wire thingy before.

I have 2 acres and lots of trees and so far no room for the darn thing, If you can believe
that.

Regards,

John KD5WJY Temp AG

When making wire antennas, try to use ladder line if possible. Much better to use than coax

Yeppers, what he said.(y) If you have lots of trees and a couple of acres you should be able to string some wire up somewhere to get a decent antenna up. If you make them resonant for the band they are cut for you can feed them with coax. If you want to make them multi-banded feed them with ladder/open line. You'll of course have to have a tuner to make your radio happy that its "seeing" a 50 ohm load. If the tuner has posts on the back to attach the feed line that will work. Otherwise your'e gonna need a balun to attach to the feedline and then a short run of coax to the tuner in the shack. That run really shouldn't be over 15ft to cut down on losses. The ladder/open line is really low loss and will get more of your signal to the antenna wire. Look back over the antenna section in your General Manual for some insight.

progress.gif
Congrats! (y) John KD5WJY/AG :cool:

Wayne C.

LOOK AT MAKING A CAROLINA WINDOM OR A LOOP.. THOSE TWO ARE VERY GOOD WIRE ANTENNAS, ALSO YOU CAN DO A DOUBLE END ZEP THOSE AR ALSO VERY EFFECTIVE AND WITH THAT MUCH ROOM YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO STRING UP SOME PRETTY DECENT SIZE ANTENNAS..

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.