• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hams are "bad", CBers are "bad", misinformation is common

Any antenna no matter how poor can work DX. I worked 3B9C on Rodrigues Island on 20m from my 100 watt mobile with a crappy Hamstick mobile antenna and it was long path at the time,15,000 miles on a crappy antenna. I have also worked into South Africa from my mobile on 10m and worked mobile to mobile into Luxor Egypt. Better antennas do help but saying it cannot be done without the right antenna is just plain false as there is NO "right" antenna.

How far can you get out at 12 watts through the hamstick on 10m?

What did 3B9C have for equipment, beam antenna and high power?

Isn't every piece of equipment important to the efficiency of the system, sometimes even the location of the system?

It is a mute point for the most part, the genie was let out of the bottle long ago, with the amps and export radios for CB to be a good short distance mode of communication full time.

Its like my dad used to say, wish in one hand and poop in the other- see which one gets full first.

How far can you get out at 12 watts through the hamstick on 10m?
I have worked Europe,Africa, South America and the Caribbean many times from the mobile with no more than 25 watts on 10m. The differance between 12 watts and 25 watts amounts to nothing.

What did 3B9C have for equipment, beam antenna and high power?

His power output means nothing when it comes to him hearing me.As for his antenna, he was using a simple trapped three element Cushcraft A3S tribander at 38 feet.Forward gain on a good day of about 7dB over a dipole.

Isn't every piece of equipment important to the efficiency of the system, sometimes even the location of the system?

True, but each by itself is not nearly as important as most people think.A good location can make up for a poor antenna or a great antenna can make up for a lack of power output etc.A change in band conditions can negate any changes done to ones gear at any time.One of the biggest things is being in the right place at the right time to catch a good contact,IOW luck.

It is a mute point for the most part, the genie was let out of the bottle long ago, with the amps and export radios for CB to be a good short distance mode of communication full time.

That is until the guy next door starts running power or until DX rolls in and you cannot talk two miles down the road because of all the noise running S-9+30dB or so.

Its like my dad used to say, wish in one hand and poop in the other- see which one gets full first.

I believe the limit to communications on CB is 155 miles. You can transmit anytime ,just not allowed to hold a conversation with anyone past that point . The problem is the FCC granted " INTERNET CB RADIO " permission for anyone to sit at their computer anywhere and speak through a microphone while connected to his live transmitter via internet and talk across the country. This action on the FCC's part broke their own standing rule of the 155 mile communications rule .

LEGAL ISSUES

• Livecbradio.com owner has had email & telephone contact with Head of Enforcement at FCC in discussing livecbradio legal issues. Their concern was that livecbradio.com was using a legal cb radio with proper FCC certification. At this time they requested, and were given the FCC ID numbers located on the back of the radios involved.
  • The Livecbradio transmitter (unmodified cobra 148) complies with " 47C.F.R. § 95.603(c). A CB transmitter must be certificated by the FCC prior to marketing or importation. 47 C.F.R. §§ 95.603(c); 2.803.

Sonwatcher

It looks like rule 19 addresses that, you can use a radio by wireline remote control with FCC approval. But being connected to the internet would be a gray area IMO with all the wireless connections to the internet, but I guess rule 19 strictly prohibits operation by radio remote control. That would make it illegal for me to use livecbradio because I connect to the internet via sat and my modem is really a radio device

I do realize the remote part was legal. In talking with the owner of the site he told me he fully explained his intentions to the FCC to allow computer users to connect to his application for transmit and receive via the internet. What amazed me is that they ignored the mileage requirement that the communication does not regulate. He said out of all his presentation with the said purpose that the only requirement was that the remote station be a legal radio . It didn't bother them that transmitting could be taking place from anywhere in the world to Nebraska over the air through his radio . He can place the host radio on any of the legal 40 channels including SSB. If he had his radio set to 38lsb during a DX opening I can talk through his radio and shoot skip, even though just talking to Nebraska over it for me is over my milaege allowance yet the FCC sanctioned it. It just seems interesting to me .

Ham here also...N7JGN... I don't get on 2m or 70cm much because I feel I am not welcome.. they are kinda a snobby bunch.. Nerds would you say? LOL not my type. HF is much different.. better guys with a sense of humor.. I like HF.. 10-80 meters.. LOL.. :D

Ham here also...N7JGN... I don't get on 2m or 70cm much because I feel I am not welcome.. they are kinda a snobby bunch.. Nerds would you say? LOL not my type. HF is much different.. better guys with a sense of humor.. I like HF.. 10-80 meters.. LOL.. :D

You should try "The Gentlemen's Band" aka 160m sometime then. (y)

im no ham , just a cb'er . i learned a long time ago that just because someone has a liscense and training to do something doesnt mean that they know what theyre doing or do it well . it is usually a good sign though . however sometimes folks are obviously educated beyond their intelligence

im very grateful to the hams on this site that have shared their answers and comments to my questions and comments . i will say that some are much easier to take advice from than others , presentation goes a long way . course , i could just be over sensitive..... LOL

Just a few things.

I'm never going to operate a 'gateway' to the internet from my radio station. Sure, it can be a really 'neat' thing, and can certainly be a good way of doing things in some instances. But there's also the 'other' side of that 'neatness' thingy. If it's your radio station that's being used to transmit with, YOU are held liable for anything that's not done 'right' with that transmitting. You will be the one to get into trouble, not the person accessing your station by the internet. Sorry, I just don't know how to trust people that much (@#$$, I wouldn't trust me that much!). As for catching 'DX' by using a gateway station like that? What's the point? It certainly isn't the same as doing it all by radio, now is it? But if it has some attraction, or benefit for you, then sure, why not. Just don't try to make it into something it isn't.

I've found that no one will 'fit' into every group imaginable. Hams, CB'ers, skateboarders, knitters, tree huggers, female impersonators, work-a-holics, whatever. So why worry about it? You were 'looking' to start with, so if you don't 'fit', keep looking. Considering the 'groups' I've heard in a number of those thingys above, I'll bet there's a 'group' that you'll fit into. The idea of, "Everyone should be able to...", is so 'lame'. Why should everyone be able to do whatever? In some particular cases, sure. In most of them, why, what for? Just because? Nope, sorry. Every 'ability' requires a commitment. If that 'commitment' is reasonable to you, then knock your self out! If not, then keep looking.
'Nuff of that deep philosophical $#|+...
- 'Doc

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    West indies and Australia coming in to South Jersey
  • dxBot:
    c316buckeye has left the room.
  • @ nfsus:
    Arkansas skip has been heavy at nights here lately. Australians all over the place
  • dxBot:
    RFactive has left the room.