• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help - IC-725 CW Break-in

HandKey

Apr 26, 2008
I cannot set up my Icom IC-725 for CW break-in. When I press the Break-in switch and try to adjust the Xmt delay nothing happens! I like the radio but am upset that I can't work fast break on CW!
I would appreciate any words of wisdom on this subject!
Thanks

Some rigs required the VOX button to be pressed as well on CW mode in order to run breakin. Try that and see what happens. I ran an Icom IC-735 and I think that is what I had to do.

I have a copy of the 725 manual as well as the maintenance manual but there isn't much mention about the break in function and the schematic is so small that I can't read the part designations.

I just tried the rig again this morning. Yesterday I had set the TX delay pot for short delay with the semi break switch on. Today when I powered up and pressed the key, the rig the T/R relay switched and the TX light came on. With key up, the rig went into RX as expected. I cycled the CW break several times into a dummy load and it worked ok and then after a short pause, the receiver didn't come back!
I cycled the power switch and the break function again worked but quit after a couple of CW cycles. I now think there may be a bad capacitor in the timing circuit?
Does anyone have a suggestion?

BTW, the IC-725 has PTT only. No VOX!
Thanks for your help...

UPDATE:
I have found that my CW Semi Breakin is now working as expected! I purchased this rig recently off eBay and I think it hasn't been powered up for a long period of time. My feeling is that some of the capacitors in the CW timing circuits needed to be reformed and after several hours of operation in the semi break mode things are back to normal
BTW I have found PDF files for the Operation and Service as well as schematics with voltages on the web. By resizing to 150% and using "Print Screen" I have been able to read the drawings!
Thanks for the responses to my post.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.