• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Help Identify this antenna.

LightFoot

Dec 28, 2008
I acquired this antenna recently from a friend. This antenna is from the 1970's. I'm not sure what type it is. It looks like a penetrator but I don't see the fixed wire tuner there. It incorporates 4, 8ft 11 inch radials. No top hat with it. Friend said he ran it and swr was 1 to 1.5. The main center base section is 5 ft 8 inches above the radials and there is 10 inches below the radials. I'm enclosing a pic of lower section. To see if it can be Identified. This antenna uses sheet metal screws going into pre drilled holes as opposed to hose clamps. Thanks Guys. Please any info would be great. Plus Its missing the top stinger which was used in another antenna design. I believe it was about 4 feet in length. Will be picking this up from my hardware store.

Attachments

• Antenna.jpg
    Antenna.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 86

looks like a radio shack 5/8 wave. they did not have the matching device like the hygain penetrators did.

Hi,
It turned out to be a .64 full wave antenna at 22.9 and 1/2 ft long. I jus finished rebuilding her. She dates back from 1978. Did my homework. Radio Shack for sure.

Attachments

• fullwave Antenna.jpg
    fullwave Antenna.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 22
And to make it a bit more 'objectionable', after accounting for the different 'sizes' of conductors used in the construction, you can call it a '.625' instead of a '.640' antenna with no trouble at all. :)
- 'Doc

Hey Doc Is it .625 because it not being 24 feet and I guess the internal Matching network Makes it electrically 24 feet. But either way thanks for the info.

antenna id

this antenna was sold by radio shack from archer cat. number 21-902.it is called super maxium is an 1/2 wave vertical omnidirectional unit. it is supposed to have a top hat on it i have one in use right now and i have a owners manual on this on acrobat reader if u need any help my e mail is barlie2@earthlink.net hope this helps.

Hey Barlie Its the one with the four 9 foot ground Radials. This Thing is 22 ft 9 and 1/2 inch vertical Radiator no top hat.Here is what it looks like. Dates back to 1978.

Attachments

• fullwave Antenna.jpg
    fullwave Antenna.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 10
Thundir,
The electrical length of an antenna depends on several things besides just the frequency. One of those things is the diameter of the conductor(s) used in it's construction. Bigger diameter conductors tend to be 'shorter' at whatever electrical length you select, than skinnier conductors are. It deals with the velocity factor of the conductor. That formula for finding the electrical length of things (246 x VF = el1/4 wave) deals with wire sized conductors, not tubing. The tubing will be slightly shorter than wire for the exact same electrical length. It's not exactly the simplest thing in the world and I'm certainly not a good teacher. The information about all this is in the ARRL Handbook, look it up. 0.015 of a wave length just isn't going to make ~that~ much difference.
- 'Doc

Hey W5LZ Thank you for the info. Your pretty Knowledgeable.Very Well Informed. I'm Definitely Learning for an old Timer, Hahaha. Best wishes to you.....:)

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.