• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

High end rigs...

74IN

Feb 17, 2003
Labia
is there really much difference?

I thought my Icom 706MKIIG was going to be superior to many.

I know that it's really a mid range radio, but I honestly prefer my Kenwood 430S that's decades older.

Are the truly high end rigs(Icom 7800 and such) superior?

Or is it just "status" gear?:confused:

BTW, I only use phone, I'm sure the newer rigs are better at the newer modes, but if one uses SSB, who knows if you are on a boat anchor or if you monitor your TX on an 19" LCD?

It depends on the 'yardstick' you use to measure the differences to a large extent, and just exactly what those 'differences' are. To me, it seems the biggest differences between the 'high end' and 'low end' of radios is in the 'extras'. They tend to have the same basic abilities. If you think those 'extras' are worth the difference in price, then get them. If you don't, then why bother?
A few of all those 'extras' can certainly make a difference in what you can hear (the biggy), and the rest are sort of just for convenience, or for occasional use, or for specific/special purposes.
Personally, I think if there's really a huge difference between the bottom of the line and the top of the line as far as 'hearing' ability goes, I'm gonna wonder why those people don't 'fix' their el'cheapo stuff to start with! I am certainly cheap, but I hate 'cheap' stuff, you know? It may only be in my imagination, but there's a big difference between inexpensive and 'cheap'.
And then there's always the 'brag factor'. I have found that in most cases, the particular piece of equipment I'm using is determined entirely by what I say it is. Not that I would ever lie about it, perish the thought ;)! Unless 'they' come look to see what's sitting on my desk, how the @#$$ would 'they' ever really know? And if 'they' ever do come to see, why, they were just a little too late, I just sold it, got an offer I couldn't refuse. Right?? The "brag factor" is very subjective, sort of, I don't care much.
So are there really differences between the top and bottom end stuff? Of course there is. The question is if that difference is worth it to you.
- 'Doc

Not exactly the answer you may have been looking for, but, look who'z answering...

The 706 is a mobile, is older generation and is an all mode multi-band radio. All of that means some compromises.

The big difference from that rig to the middle tier, a 746Pro or an FT-950 or a TS-2000 are the DSP and filtering the middle tier have. The TS-2000 (I own that one) is the oldest of that grouping and not as effective overall but would still outperform a 706. The FT-950 with its selectable roofing filters is the current champ IMO for HF.

The real trick to answering this is....what is your antenna situation? I traded an FT-1000MP for my TS-2000. The MP had a better receiver and was loaded with filters too. People said I was crazy to make the trade. Well I A/B tested them and with the compromise antennas I have and the casual operating that I do, there was little *real* difference.

If a signal was so weak that the TS-2000 couldn't copy it vs the 1000MP, I wouldn't be able to reach them anyway with the antennas I have. Add in my typical suburban noise floor and honestly I didn't hear a signal like that in my testing anyway.

Your 706 is far from a bad radio, neither is the 857D that I also own. Stick up some improved antennas and you will be surprised at just how good they can be. ;-)

When I first got into all of this I had a TS-680S and thought for sure it was my rig that needed an upgrade....well, I did gain some nice filtering, but the real win was improving my antennas over the last year and a half. Much more so than changing rigs. I still have the 680 and on my current antennas, it's hard to say anything bad about it.

When you start getting in to the higher end Yaesu's, Icom's, TenTec's, etc., you start getting multiple receivers in one rig, incredible sensitivity, selectivity, and rejection, scopes, 200 watts output, all kinds of stuf like that. Of course, you're going to pay $5K-$10K for rigs like that. Will you notice a difference if you switch it back and forth between a 706? I guarantee it under the right circumstances. Is it worth the price difference to you? Only you can answer that. For me, the rigs that SR385 outlined have a real nice set of features at a price that works for me. One day that may change, but I have similar antenna restrictions, so at some point it seems like a waste to have top of the line equipment coupled with compromise antennas.

I agree with mole your antenna in my opinion is 80% of your setup I have several radios here HF -2 meter I was messing around with one of my yaesu ft-840 the other night and this is considered a lower/entry level radio I was talking on that and hearing fine Now some of my rigs have some better features my Yaesu ft-990 base ft-450 mobile and Kenwood ts-50 have some excellent filtering options when its needed otherwise as far as HF I dont mind running my yaesu FT-840's there simple and anyone can learn to set there functions it is nice to have the extras when there needed but to be honest its not often I have to readjust much of anything. Besides we all know that these higher radios can have issues and problems like any other radio reguardless of its level.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.