• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

High SWR only with my 94HP

wrongway

Sep 10, 2011
I am having SWR trouble . I have a Galaxy 94HP in a Volvo tractor . I used the bird perch mount with a Wilson 2000 and ran a ground wire from the antenna mount to a good ground for good measure .
I managed to get the SWR to meet in the middle with ch1 being 1.7 and ch40 being 1.8 . This is as good as i can get it . Now if i install my Cobra 29 or Galaxy 33 without changing anything the SWR is 1.2 on ch1 and 1.4 on ch40 . I would like to get the 94 to be below 1.5 as well .
Is there anything in the radio that can cause a higher reading ? I am checking it with an external meter and mic and rf power all the way down if this matters .
Thank you for your input .
Don

I am having SWR trouble . I have a Galaxy 94HP in a Volvo tractor . I used the bird perch mount with a Wilson 2000 and ran a ground wire from the antenna mount to a good ground for good measure .
I managed to get the SWR to meet in the middle with ch1 being 1.7 and ch40 being 1.8 . This is as good as i can get it . Now if i install my Cobra 29 or Galaxy 33 without changing anything the SWR is 1.2 on ch1 and 1.4 on ch40 . I would like to get the 94 to be below 1.5 as well .
Is there anything in the radio that can cause a higher reading ? I am checking it with an external meter and mic and rf power all the way down if this matters .
Thank you for your input .
Don

How severely has the 94 been hacked up? What you described is what often happens when the transmitted signal is full of spurious signals that have nothing to do with where you think you're transmitting. I'd put it on a spectrum analyzer and take a close look there (an oscilloscope won't tell you anything useful in a case like this).

Thank you for the reply , unfortunately it is way over my head . The radio was purchased from G.I. Joes radio shop with his tune . Due to it running hotter than i liked i turned the dead key with rf power turned all the way down to 5 watts and on full power to 40 watts . Aside from that it is the tune that came with it. I would like to think it isn't too hacked up .

Just going by what you've described, I have to think there's something 'not right' with that one radio. Can't say why there's something 'not right' with it, but there probably is.
- 'Doc

re

gijoes is known to remove the mod limiters.
unless you tell him not to.it says it right on his webpage.
under tune ups

Yea i think i will have this looked at if it could be a tuning or modulation related .
For what this cost i would like it to be right .
Thank you for your replies .
Don

Check out the insulator material in the SO-239 antenna connector on the back of the radio. If that insulator is cracked, that will cause the SWR problem. Replace as needed. Heard about this once before.

You power output is waaay turned.
Think you went a bit too overboard turning it down.

Last edited:
You might want to try different antenna, I once had a cheap mag mount antenna (and probably still do in the junk pile), and with a regular 4 watt CB with poor audio, SWR was at 1.3:1 which isnt too bad.

Hooked it up to my Galaxy, keyed up and radio just went nuts, freq counter displaying bogus numbers, it hummed, and other crap. Not good.
Checked SWR, and it was 3:1. At 12 watts carrier power the damn coax or antenna flashed over. Not meaning to put down the Wilson 5000, but it or the coax might be damaged.

I would try another antenna before I took it anywhere. Had a similar issue with my Galaxy using another crappy antenna, this time only with SSB.

When using no name 3 foot loaded whip, when I keyed up on either sideband I had about a 25 watt carrier, wtf???
Took the radio to my truck with the 108" whip, and i had no carrier. How interesting, ended up using a K-40 on the van without trouble.

well id say theres a problem with the galaxy cause if it was a antenna/coax issue
id think you would also see a high swr on the cobra as well.and imho you
still should be able to use the galaxy as is cause your swr is actually what
your cobra reads even though it doesnt show it on the meter. unless your radio
is running hot [too hot to touch] i wouldnt worry too much. jmho

This is the typical symptom of a radio that is putting out wide-band trash. I would suggest that the radio has been improperly tuned (aside from the mod limiter being defeated - always a bad idea).

Some radios, having been poorly tuned, become sensitive to the reactances in an antenna, and can go nuts, (when another radio won't).

I abjectly refuse to have any of my "10M" radios peaked and tuned because most tech have no idea what they're doing. Tuning a radio is more than tuning for smoke, tuning a radio right is a skill. 90% of so-called techs have no idea what they're doing, or about tuning "off-peak" and how that affects the performance.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.