• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hookup Question

Nick23

Desperado, 785
Aug 16, 2013
Bangor, ME
I have decided on a midnight special 700. At only 90 amp draw I think I should be okay. What gauge wire should I use for hookup? If and when I switch over to ssb I will get a Texas Star. I have heard of people running 1000 watts with a mag mount... What do you guys think of this. I know it not the best, but can mag mount handle this power?

8 gage wire should work and I would NOT run a mag mount, I mean really you're spending all that time and effort to install a high power amp (still wondering why on that one) why skimp on the antenna mount. Drill the hole and be done with it.

I know hard mounts are the way to go. Someone..... Won't let me drill a hole in the vehicle. I may get a newer vehicle soon. I will probably install a puck mount on that.

Or maybe after she gets her new car she will forget about the Toyota. Until I get a new truck or she forgets about the 4Runner I might consider running mag. Is it true people can run that power through them??

Why are you still wondering...about what my amp??

I will be changing it out in a month or two anyway! I wanted to run it in the mean time though. You know the amp is variable, I could run it at much lower that its peak wattage. I was just asking a question and you guys have to gang up on me. What the hell?!? I know my setup isn't perfect. I am just trying to enjoy the hobby with what I have. I am so sorry that I can't do everything perfectly like you guys. What I won't take is crap and ridiculing for asking questions, but hey I suppose because I have a limited budget and no one else to talk to about this I guess I had it coming.

Okay why have other people used them at 900 to 1000? I have read about this on this forum. Just a little confused...

Because they're blithering idiots who confuse "can make a contact" with working properly. Well I can make a contact using a 50 Ohm dummy load as an antenna but that doesn't mean its any good and I can make contacts if I pull the PL259 out of the antenna socket so the centre is just making contact but that doesn't mean its working properly.

There is absolute no way in hell a magmount has enough capacitive coupling for 900W and the coax they come with certainly isn't rated for 900W. That 900W needs to return to earth and will be going somewhere and that somewhere will be right back down the outside of the coax meaning the gear you're using will be hot with RF with the potential of RF burns (you don't feel it burning as it is burning you BTW) and it'll be getting into the vehicle wiring and causing all kinds of issues.

Don't believe me? Run a long length of coax from the magmount, get a flourescent tube and whilst someone is keying the rig, put the tube near the coax. Watch how bright it lights up. Its being powered by the RF current flowing on the outside of the coax.

There is absolutely no need for more than 100W. I had a Kenwood TS480HX in my car which is 200W. I replaced it for a Kenwood TS480SAT which is 100W and noticed absolutely no difference in the contacts I could make. I was still able to get to Australia from the UK and I still had stations in the USA giving me 5/9+ signal reports and being astounded I was mobile.

All having 900-1000W in a mobile install is doing is satisfying some penis deficiency. It serves absolutely no useful purpose.

Because they're blithering idiots who confuse "can make a contact" with working properly. Well I can make a contact using a 50 Ohm dummy load as an antenna but that doesn't mean its any good and I can make contacts if I pull the PL259 out of the antenna socket so the centre is just making contact but that doesn't mean its working properly.

There is absolute no way in hell a magmount has enough capacitive coupling for 900W and the coax they come with certainly isn't rated for 900W. That 900W needs to return to earth and will be going somewhere and that somewhere will be right back down the outside of the coax meaning the gear you're using will be hot with RF with the potential of RF burns (you don't feel it burning as it is burning you BTW) and it'll be getting into the vehicle wiring and causing all kinds of issues.

Don't believe me? Run a long length of coax from the magmount, get a flourescent tube and whilst someone is keying the rig, put the tube near the coax. Watch how bright it lights up. Its being powered by the RF current flowing on the outside of the coax.

There is absolutely no need for more than 100W. I had a Kenwood TS480HX in my car which is 200W. I replaced it for a Kenwood TS480SAT which is 100W and noticed absolutely no difference in the contacts I could make. I was still able to get to Australia from the UK and I still had stations in the USA giving me 5/9+ signal reports and being astounded I was mobile.

All having 900-1000W in a mobile install is doing is satisfying some penis deficiency. It serves absolutely no useful purpose.
I agree with everything said above, I run less then 100w (70-80W) mobile and have talked all over the world from the car. It's all about band conditions, when they are good 1/2 a watt will get you everywhere and when it's bad 1000 watts will barely get you across the street. The antenna is everything not how much power you feed it. Put the big amp on the shelf and if you must run power then look at a 100 watt amp and a good antenna and you will be happy.

He's trolling...you guys already answered the majority of his questions, he just keeps coming.

He wants you to tell him what he wants to hear...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

Yeah jerk just live up to your name. I recently read on this forum about someone running 900, when no body gave him shit I thought it was okay. I was asking about the max power one could run through a magnet mount. Everybody yelled DONT!!!! but never said don't go over 400 with a mag. I also asked for what gauge wiring I should use. Thank you w9cll for your input. I have talked all over the US with my Uniden pc78ltw tuned by myself and a predator 10k. I have a friend who moved farther out of town, hence my need for an amp. Sill wondering why I have to defend myself for asking questions...

By the way, I've been there. Spent all that $$$$ on a similar setup. And here I sit with a simple 2-pill after owning the "big boxes".

You're one that has to learn from experience?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G730A using Tapatalk

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.