• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Hookup Question

The jerk, you said it brother, amen. I have been there too, and now sit with a good biased b 2 pill amp. It's not always about having big watts. 200-300 watts will get your name called plenty when the conditions are good. I have learned and am still learning that clean is mean!! Forget all the bells and whistles and echo and let me hear a clean clear voice that's on frequency, that's good stuff. Anyway, to the poster , if you are planning on running that much power, you better have all your ducks in a row. Good coax jumpers and a good antenna system, then a good battery and alternator setup, or at least 2 batteries, one to power the amp properly, 90 amps is a lot of amps, most automobiles don't use that many amps for the whole electrical system. Be careful and use the right batteries as well in the car if you plan on adding any. And as for your wiring, I would not put less than #4awg, if you can go larger like #2 or 1/0, it won't hurt. And again I will stress this, make sure you have a good antenna setup, like others have posted, 1k of power or close to it will start having issues with a mag mount, especially on newer vehicles as they use thinner metal on the roofs seems like, like I said, with power, you had better have all your ducks in a row. God bless and good luck.

hmmmmmm.....depending on the locale, 27.385 is kinda tough to make CONSISTANT (whenever you want) contacts with 100 watts in a MOBILE. 10m on the other hand....heck, i make regular contacts on 12m with my 706mk2g folding back to 20 watts or less on my 27.5 mhz-tuned magnet mount antenna ;) all depends on the BAND....cbers don't take turns like hams...
YES you CAN run big power with a magnet mount. as efficient as hard mounting-NO. that said....your running 400 watts into a 1/4 wave hard mounted whip, 5' to the feed point. you MIGHT have 100 watts erp, your friend is running 400 watts into his maco v5/8 at 36' to the feed. he MIGHT have 500 watts erp....he's already got you by 6+ db so if he's keyed down, you ain't getting out....on skip at least, the MAJORITY of the time. anyway, change your hard mounted 1/4 wave steel antenna for a shortened magnet mount....your erp MIGHT be 50 watts....on a good day. now he's got you by 9-12 db....stay on the porch :) run that kw into that mag mount, you're probably nearing 400+ erp, NOW you have a chance. MAYBE. but remember, skip/propagated signals cancel all bets.
oh, & i ran 5x16 into a predator 10k on a triple mag....for years. the FS meter showed 50% more at....i forget, several hundred feet...when the same antenna was hard mounted on the roof vs mag mounted on the roof. IT WORKS, at a loss off efficiency, but 1200+ real watts at 67% efficiency gets out :) almost every time.....but always remembering my enough-to-get-out-watts theory.....67% of 1200 was enough :)
oh yea, as for coax not handling the watts? CHANGE IT. 9913 flex for HIGH power, lmr240 was just fine for a TRUE relatively clean 8 transistor box.

How is it a penis deficiency to try and talk to my friend who has moved farther away? I am doing a hard mount in the next month. In the meantime I wanted to know of I could turn the variable power down to 200 or 400. I am running this amount of power to mearly get s3 to s4 to my long time friend who has moved. Wow!!!????

are you new to forums? i put truck tires on 70's chevy's BEFORE dick cepek came out with the BIGGEST of all time, the 36" fun country....i still remember the ads-'don't ask us what they fit! just keep lifting, bending & cutting til you can run 'em'-i BUILT my own lifts for bigger truck tires then those fun country's before there was anything more then a 4" rancho lift kit. YET i've asked a question on cherokeeforum.com that got responses from snot nosed 19 year olds that BUY everything for their jeeps & NEVER fabricated their own stuff....take it with a grain of salt. the easiest way to learn is to try it....don't electrocute yourself, but you can't be afraid to blow things up once in a while! if you are afraid, scale back to do what you know you're capable of!

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.