• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

How does this SWR meter rate?

Survival Bill

Oct 30, 2005
Canada
www.survivalbill.com
is this SWR meter any good?

SWR1.jpg

Too many moving parts. Get a cross-needle meter - you don't have to adjust them for full scale, and they read real SWR (the result of having forward power and reflected power in the same feedline at the same time). This Micronta thing, like most "Monimatch" meters, responds only to reflected power, and gives you only an idea of what your actual SWR is.

I got one like that and hate it with a passion...but if you say its better ok I have to test out this one and see how it compares to the cross needle one...

Beetle said:
Too many moving parts. Get a cross-needle meter - you don't have to adjust them for full scale, and they read real SWR (the result of having forward power and reflected power in the same feedline at the same time). This Micronta thing, like most "Monimatch" meters, responds only to reflected power, and gives you only an idea of what your actual SWR is.

I had one like that.Note the word "had". It was a POS. It has little cheap trim pots inside for calibration.They were not very stable and 100 watts on the mid scale may read 200 on the high scale.The best thing about it was the remote pick up box.I trashed mine and used the power meter in a homebrew project.Diawa or Diamond are FAR better for the HF range.That R/S meter was not very good over the entire HF sprectrum.

Survival Bill said:
The problem with the diawa xover one is that the needles are crossing so low on it I really cant tell if its 1.2 or 3.0 :?: as the lines just converge so tight its just impossible to tell what the actual reading is on it...

The Autek Research WM-1 might be what you are looking for. No cross needles and it reads SWR without any calculations.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.